editing/modifying scripts

Have you been able to do this with schedules?

I haven't been able to get a single schedule to stick.

I hit the + to add a schedule, I change a day (as an extra step to indicate I entered data), I tab out of the script schedule area (just to make sure it accepted a data entry).

As soon as I go to another script, the schedules is gone.

Edited by Guest

Here is what I did in more detail.

Yesterday I created my first script in v8, I used the wizard. I added several sources, then ran it. This was going to be my baseline test. This script by the way, had a schedule assigned to it that did "stick", but I started the script by pushing the Run button.

Then I noticed that the script was running every backup sequentially. I wanted to get faster performance (BRU was kicking butt on Retrospect v8, because it was processing several backups at once).

So I stopped that first script, deleted it and created several new scripts, each one going to a different media set, with the aim of having multiple backups run at once. I created these new scripts manually, with the + button (not using the wizard).

As I was creating each script I noticed that when I clicked on a previous script in the summary tab to verify its contents, I noticed that the schedule section was blank, even though I had added a schedule.

So I made several attempts at adding schedules to each script, even changing dates, active days, etc; and clicking in other places to see that the script was "accepted".

While I was in the Schedule tab, if I clicked from script to script the schedule for each script was still displayed, but as soon as I left the Schedule tab, the schedule was gone.

I had been editing using a remote client over VPN, but have the same results when using the console on the server. I even restarted the server once.

Edited by Guest

I had been editing using a remote client over VPN, but have the same results when using the console on the server. I even restarted the server once.

Can you explain this more? have you tried making the change without being on the VPN? I am concerned that the UI is not correctly sending the details to the engine over the VPN, and the result is forgetting of schedules

This is a Retrospect bug. I am able to reliably reproduce it. I found that to workaround it, make a second schedule, that seems to trick it into remembering both schedules.

In addition, I made a groom schedule to run every 3 weeks and tried to change the days it runs, but that change doesn't stick either. I haven't found a workaround for this one yet.

Can you explain this more? have you tried making the change without being on the VPN? I am concerned that the UI is not correctly sending the details to the engine over the VPN, and the result is forgetting of schedules

I thought I was clear. Initially I was using VPN, but saw the same results when running the console off of the server itself (no VPN).

Since posting this, I have seen MANY inconsistencies when using the client over VPN (data not being set correctly, data not being reported back accurately), so many that I no longer consider using the client remotely as a viable option.

Today in an effort to make my scripts use as many threads as possible, I changed three scripts into about 20 - each physical server had to go on its own script, and each script had to go to its own media set.

While editing all of these scripts I found that the sources and media sets that I selected for each script would not stick consistently. I had to continually quit the client and launch it again, make one edit, quit the client and launch it again for each edit.

And that was the client running local on the server (no VPN).

Edited by Guest

Since posting this, I have seen MANY inconsistencies when using the client over VPN...

I had to continually quit the client and launch it again...

For accuracy's sake (a critical requirement for online communication) remember that "client" is a specific component of Retrospect software.

The preferred terminology for the the components you're discussing are Engine and Console.

Dave