More problems even after rebuild of MediaSet

Hi,

I've been having problems with crashes and lost backups (see my other posting).

I decided to try to Rebuild from tape. I started the rebuilding process it took about 10 hours for two LTO-2 tapes. At the end it found 459 GB of stuff in two tapes.

Problems:

In the Media Set Window in the Summary Pane it shows:

Space used 176.8 GB, Members 2, Backups 5, Files 3,316,389.

In the Members Pane show 2 Members with 283/7 and 176.8 GB (note that the space used shown in the summary is only the last tape)

in The Backup pane it show ONLY two backups NOT the 5 it says in the summary and that I know it did because I saw i doing it, 2 volumes on the first tape, then it crashed while changing tape, then 3 volumes on the second tape then crashed again. Total 5 volumes, it only shows 2.

Not again this is after a complete tape Rebuild (the actual size of the catalog went down from 2.2 GB to 1.5 GB, not sure why).

More:

If I try to do a restore and I search for a file name that I know was in one of the "lost" backups it this happens:

In the Select Media set it show the Media but it says it only has 176.8 GB (i.e. only the second tape), under files it says N/A under Members it says N/A.

If I continue it actually finds two files in a Volume which is not in the backup list (i.e. somewhere in the file list it finds them) but if I click on Restore the little Yellow sprite goes in the Activities Icon, it flashes a little and then it just simply disappear.

If I try to find the same file again a second time it finds nothing.

Hold on it gets more interesting.

If I quit the engine and restart it, now in the Restore window it show the right number of files and members but still the wrong size. It finds the files again (337 kb), I attempt to restore, yellow sprite nothing happens, nothing is recorded in the Previous Activities or Log.

Note the the Folder are actually created each time in the Destination volume but they are empty.

No, the assertion log says nothing since yesterday morning crashes before the Rebuild.

But the Macintosh Console Log keeps saying over and over again

3/25/09 AM Retrospect[13003] Server::updateExecutingActivitiesCache exception: Can't find available backupset

When I quit the Retrospect Console it stops saying that and then when I restarted the Console it syas

3/25/09 9:56:32 AM Retrospect[15190] PastActivity::loadLog exception: RefExecutionHistory::GetExecutionLog: log not found

twice and now it keeps saying again

3/25/09 9:56:33 AM Retrospect[15190] Server::updateExecutingActivitiesCache exception: Can't find available backupset

Now, if when I quit the Engine the Mac Console says:

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM Retrospect[15190] connectViaQueue: exception "MacTCPconnection::Connect: connect() failed with error 61: Connection refused" connecting to 127.0.0.1:22024

3/25/09 9:58:14 AM [0x0-0x27c27c].com.emc.Retrospect[15190] DAG exception: [MacRequestor::Request: connection closed by remote endpoint]

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM [0x0-0x27c27c].com.emc.Retrospect[15190] DAG exception: [MacTCPconnection::Connect: connect() failed with error 61: Connection refused]

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM authexec[15560] executing /Library/PreferencePanes/RetrospectServer.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Retrospect

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.systempreferences[32753] 2009-03-25 09:58:16.874 Retrospect[15560:913] Retro Prefs Pane Helper: start_server

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM sudo[15561] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[15562] #3> DLLoadLib: no id resource in "/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libretrores.dylib", skipDyloCheck 0x1

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[15562] #2> Command line is /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RetroEngine

3/25/09 9:58:16 AM com.retrospect.RetroEngine[15562] #2> Command line is /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RetroEngine

And in the Previous Activities the attempt to Restore is finally there.

So overall I cannot Backup reliably and I cannot Restore at all.

As "The Onion" say just a total f%$%ing mess.

What can I do?

Sorry to see you have so much trouble.

Retrospect may only show the most recent past backups of a specific volumes. This was true in 6.1, which required the user to retrieve older snapshots.

In 8.0 go to Past Backups and click "Retrieve" to get access to older past backups.

I logged a bug for the other concerns. Are you able to post some screenshots of what you are seeing?

Retrospect may only show the most recent past backups of a specific volumes. This was true in 6.1, which required the user to retrieve older snapshots.

I'm not talking about snapshots. In 6.1 if I click on Report and then click on Contents I can see all the Backup Sets with all the contents of each session, which volumes were backed up and how many files.

How do I do that in 8.0?

In 8.0 go to Past Backups and click "Retrieve" to get access to older past backups.

Right, so I do that and nothing happens. I think what the hell?

The I click on Activities and it shows that it's waiting for me to change the tape.

Why doesn't it put an alert that I need to change the tape? How am I supposed to know it.

And why are previous backups list kept on tape?

In 6.1 I could Browse the Content of any Set and see any backup. Double click on it and see a list of all the backed up file in a second.

To do the same thing in 8.0 I have to click on Retrieve, change the tape, get ONE backup at a time, click on Browse and wait forever to see the list? I clicked on Browse 5 minutes ago (literally and it still has not shown a list of 2000 files, still spinning Accessing Backup. Retro 6.1 takes 2 seconds to show the a list of 16,000 files, 4 seconds to show 250,000 files.

Retro 8.0 is still spining to find 2000 files (7 minutes and counting).

This is madness. How can you expect people to pay for the upgrade??

Sorry but I'm really upset at wasting all this time.

BTW if you click on Retrive a second time nothing happens, It show a list and then when you select of backup just the error beep.

I logged a bug for the other concerns. Are you able to post some screenshots of what you are seeing?

Which one of the many? ;-)