Rebuilding catalog spins through same DVDs over and over

Hi, I apologize if this topic has been posted previously, though I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere. I lost my catalog file when migrating to a different computer, and I want to know whether certain files on my hard drive have been backed up or not. My understanding is that I need to rebuild the catalog file to do this.

I have a backup set across 10 Memorex DVD-RWs which was created using a desktop G5 running Retrospect 6.0.204. After migrating to a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 running OS 10.4.11 and Retrospect 6.0.204, I was able to completely recatalog disks 1 and 2 of the 10-disk backup set. However, I noticed the same files being catalogued over and over in disk 3, and I finally stopped the recatalog procedure after ~30 gigabytes worth of files got catalogued from one DVD. Sure enough, the new catalog file had many duplicates of the same files.

Recataloguing with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook running OS 10.5.5 and Retrospect 6.1.230 causes disk 1 of the 10-disk backup set to spin over and over again. After obtaining ~30 GB of duplicate files from this one disk, I've aborted the recataloguing process.

I'm pretty sure the problem is due to the following error:

"Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 1048576*n)"

Something is happening at location 4 on disk 1 (and presumably somewhere else on disk 3), because I get an error message at location 4 every time the recataloguing repeats from the beginning of the disk. I've noticed that 1048576 is 1024 squared, yet my DVD-RWs have 4.7 GB capacity. I also get the following errors:

"Trouble reading: "1-G5 Backup" (1220), error 206"

"Trouble reading: "1-G5 Backup" (1191), error 206"

"Trouble reading: "1-G5 Backup" (2060), error 206"

However, sometimes the entire disk will be recatalogued with no error 206, so it can't be the root cause of my problem. For instance, consider these successive error messages, with my notes in brackets:

"Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 3145728)" [Note: 3145728 = 1048576 * 3]

"Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 4194304)" [Note: 4194304 = 1048576 * 4]

Can anyone help?