How to Prevent Ejecting Storage devices?

I had a problem where I mistakenly ejected the wrong device in the Configure/Storage Device & Media/ Storage Device screen. When I did the FireWire HD I ejected had to be reinitialized after that because my Mac kept saying the disk was unreadable & my only choice were to eject or reintialize it.

Is there a way I can prevent my extra Hard drives that show up in the Storage Device window from being ejected or erased by mistake. I only need to eject or erase DAT tapes which I backup to not the other drives.

If I had files that weren't yet backed up I would have lost it all!

Yikes! If your Mac was insisting that the drive was unreadable, it suggests disk driver problems to me. Nothing about ejecting a disk should affect its readability later. Do you have another FireWire disk you can experiment with? If so I would try to reproduce the problem. If it comes back see if the HD vendor has updated drivers you can try.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to "lock" items in the Configure Devices window. You just have to be careful in there. But again, an accidental eject shouldn't cause a disk to go south like that.

• 1 month later...

Butch,

Are you using a Blue & White G3? The firewire implementation on those boxes is horrible, lots of corruption of data, device drivers, slow performance, etc.

It seems the only solution is to install a 3rd party firewire card.

Hope that helps!!

Randy

Archived