Error -2241 while grooming

Hello.

Retrospect version 7.6.111

Driver Update 7.6.1.101

Server HP, with Intel Xeon 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows 2003 Server, SP 2.

Disk backup set, catalog file on local disk, data files on HP All-In-One NAS server.

When the error first occured, I tried recreating the catalog file.

It didn't help, so we did a "Recycle".

It didn't help.

Now what?

Grooming Backup Set WinDesktops...
	Grooming Backup Set WinDesktops failed, error -2241 (Catalog File invalid/damaged)
	You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.
	See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.
	Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set WinDesktops, error -1 (unknown)
2008-10-05 18:01:26: 2 execution errors
	Duration: 03:06:55 (00:03:48 idle/loading/preparing)

<"Recreate from disks" here>

Grooming Backup Set WinDesktops failed, error -2241 (Catalog File invalid/damaged)
	See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.
2008-10-12 17:13:55: 2 execution errors
	Duration: 03:12:56 (00:01:28 idle/loading/preparing)

!	2008-10-13 10:26: Manual Recycle of Backup Set WinDesktops

2008-10-19 14:40:37: 2 execution errors
	Duration: 00:59:17 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the catalog files should NOT be compressed, so why Retrospect even tries to do that is beyond me.

Edited by Guest

Free space on C: is 496GB (yes, Gigabyte).

Free space on the E: drive, which is the catalog file drive: 87GB.

Catalog file size is about 7GB.

Latest news:

After a catalog file rebuild yesterday, I was able to groom.

During the night a bunch of clients was backed up successfully.

Today the grooming ran fine for 2 hours 18 minutes and then issued the dreaded -2241 error again. (sigh).

I will start a catalog rebuild (again).

There are two other "active" catalog files on that disk, that works just fine. There is one for a disk backup set and another for a tape backup set. For the tape backup set, we du a "new media backup" every weekend, so there is a bunch of old ("inactive") catalog files as well. There are no problems with these.

But if you still think it would make a difference, I will move the file to the C: drive. Then just double-click it, right?

Thanks for your help.

You are right, as always.

Moved the catalog file to the C: drive and got no error grooming.

We normally groom every weekend, I will keep the catalog file on the C: drive and see what happens then.

Should I replace the E: drive? Or just run CHKDSK? Or is it too early to tell?

I did run a CHKDSK with surface scan, but it didn't find any problem.

However, the other disk backup set where the catalog file is on the same disk also failed to groom, but with the error -1101. I started copying the catalog files to the C: drive. The copy stalled completely after a few minutes, the files couldn't be read. Later, I managed to copy everything over. Thankfully, there was no problem with the "active" catalog files, just the old ones.

The new E: hard drive is being formatted as I write this.

Recreated the catalog file on a brand new E: drive. Ran the backup a few days. Grooming during the weekend failed with -2241.

Recreated the catalog file on the C: drive yesterday. Ran the backup during the night. Grooming failed today with -2241:

+	Executing Grooming at 2008-11-04 08:21 (Execution unit 3)
2008-11-04 10:27:59: Execution incomplete
	Duration: 01:56:38 (00:00:17 idle/loading/preparing)

Now that the hard drive is ruled out, what's the next step?

What is error -2241 anyway?

No, I haven't tried a different backup disk, we don't have a spare disk large enough.

There are NO files on this disk, beside the backup set. I did a Recycle when this problem started, which would erase all files from it, right? And that would be "instant" defragmentation.  ;-)

This is a NAS disk, consisting of a HP All-In-One storage server, running Windows Storage Server 2003. It has 4 physical 250 GB disks, set up as RAID-5. It has two logical disks: C: of 30GB and E: of 663MB.

All the physical disks as well as the two logical disks are "Optimal", according to the Adaptec Storage Manager.

I have been able to groom directly after a catalog rebuild, with no backup in between. I'm trying that as I write; the rebuild finished a while ago.

Grooming failed with -2241 again this weekend.

Did a "Recycle" on this backup set (WinDesktops). F: disk is now empty.

Move another backup set (MacDesktops) from C: to the F: disk.

Moved the problematic backup set (WinDesktops) to C:, just to rule out problems with the F: disk.

Full backup to WinDesktops is now running and I will report back later this week.

I have also been seeing this problem with 7.6.111. I get error -2241 when it is grooming, so I rebuild the catalog from disk. Then it immediately gets the error -2241 again, as soon as I try to groom. I was going to try recycling the backup set, but apparently that didn't help Lennart. Now there are two of us that need advice on this!

Did a "Recycle" on this backup set (WinDesktops). F: disk is now empty.

Move another backup set (MacDesktops) from C: to the F: disk.

Moved the problematic backup set (WinDesktops) to C:, just to rule out problems with the F: disk.

Full backup to WinDesktops is now running and I will report back later this week.

Grooming failed with the data files on the local C: drive, too.

Now I have ruled out the E: drive for the catalog file and the F: drive for the data files.

What next?

As a workaround, I've been manually selecting snapshots to forget (which is very tedious!). When closing the dialog, I'm asked if I want to groom now or later. I select now, but grooming doesn't start; I have to go back in to the backup set and start it. Is that also a bug, or am I missing something?

After managing to rebuild my catalog after several attempts, (see topic http://forums.dantz.com//showtopic.php?tid/27719/) I needed to groom a few snapshots. Even with this completely recreated catalog, I got Error -2241 - Grooming Backup Set SwapDisks3 failed, error -2241 (Catalog File invalid/damaged)

This is completely unacceptable.