Bluetooth License Check Failed

lapimate

Retrospect 7.6.111 for Windows with Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.1.101.

Dell Vostro 1200 Windows XP Pro SP3 with Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth module aka T60H928.06 (Broadcom 2045 Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device) and Broadcom/Widcomm Bluetooth software.

When I run a Normal backup of the whole C: system drive, inevitably while Retrospect completes successfully an error message appears sometime during the process; “Bluetooth license check failed ...†and the Widcomm Bluetooth icon in the system tray turns red and the Bluetooth device cannot be re-started. (This problem does not arise if the backup is selective, such as Documents and Settings only.)

This issue appears to be the same as that discussed (apparently unresolved) in the 2006 item

bluetooth-license check failure when backing up system drive C: http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/23138/post/89871/hl/bluetooth/fromsearch/1/#89871

The Bluetooth entries in Device Manager seem to get into a confused state:

the confused entries appear thus

Bluetooth Devices [ie Widcomm entry]

Bluetooth Bus Enumerator [broadcom 5.1.0.4200]

Bluetooth Radios [Microsoft]

Broadcom 2045 Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device [driver “unknownâ€, but details tab shows Broadcom 5.1.0.4000]

instead of

Bluetooth Devices [Widcomm]

Bluetooth Bus Enumerator [broadcom 5.1.0.4200]

Broadcom 2045 Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device [broadcom 5.1.0.4000]

The DM can be repaired by “Uninstalling†the entry for the Broadcom 2045 under the Bluetooth Radios then “Scan for hardware changesâ€; then the Bluetooth device can be restarted.

What is going on? What is Retrospect doing which upsets the Device Manager? Is there any Retrospect fix to prevent this problem arising? Is Retrospect probing ports or (USB) devices and thereby somehow conflicting with the Widcomm software, which conflict provokes corruption of the registry?

I notice the OP of #89871 mentioned that the disk drive being used for backup was connected via USB. That is not my case since the C: drive is internal to the laptop, however there is a 16GB SD card installed in an adapter in the ExpressCard slot (which is reported as a USB connection). This drive is listed in the Retrospect Storage Devices window “Status†panel as “Content unrecognisedâ€. It is used for the RCB vault, so I am reluctant to uninstall it.

What is your backup destination?

Retrospect can disable the Removable Storage Manager, I am not sure if that is a factor or not. This sounds like a problem with the Bluetooth Drivers themselves.

When doing a backup to a hard disk or a NAS device, Retrospect sends copy commands to the file system and does not load any storage device drivers or even talk to the device manager.

You can try to ignore devices from Configure>Devices>Environment. This may help reduce conflicts.

Edited by Guest

Thank you.

What is your backup destination?

NAS (Synology) drives. Note selective (ie non-full-C: drive) backups did not provoke the “Bluetooth license check failed â€; might have been duration of backup process but the backups take only a few minutes anyway (Wireless N 300Mb/s connection).

Retrospect can disable the Removable Storage Manager, I am not sure if that is a factor or not. This sounds like a problem with the Bluetooth Drivers themselves.

I do suspect the BT drivers’ behaviour. I have now removed the Broadcom/Widcomm BT software/drivers and installed the MS drivers as per this topic

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=38533&p=1

I have not seen any “Bluetooth license check failed†messages since. Frustrating that the problem occurred with up-to-date Broadcom/Widcomm software on a new machine with manufacturer-installed BT!

When doing a backup to a hard disk or a NAS device, Retrospect sends copy commands to the file system and does not load any storage device drivers or even talk to the device manager.

You can try to ignore devices from Configure>Devices>Environment. This may help reduce conflicts.

I can’t report on that now, sorry, since having apparently eliminated the problem as above.

• 6 months later...
... installed the MS drivers ... I have not seen any “Bluetooth license check failed†messages since.

I have since installed BlueSoleil 6.4.249 (more BT profiles available than the MS drivers) I have not seen any “Bluetooth license check failed†messages since.