Bad DLT tape in set

No data can be restored from DLT tape #2 in a set of 6. Retrospect sees the tape but that's it. All other tapes work fine. I have a duplicate set, but I would like to keep the original set intact (the duplicate set is for off-site storage). Is it possible to make a copy of only tape #2 from the duplicate set giving the new tape the same name as the original tape that went bad? If so, will the new tape integrate seemlessly into the original storage set. What is the best way to do this? We are on the Macintosh platform using v.4.3 and have only one single tape DLT drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Daerl,

Even if you had two DLT drives for duplicating media, you may not be able to "trick" Retro into thinking that the copied #2 is the original #2. I tried something similar once and saw a message that essentially said "This tape has the same name as a member of BackupSetX but isn't the real 2-BackupSetX tape."

Rather than trying to fill in the gap where tape 2 went bad, I'd suggest resetting that backup set and backing up to a new set of tapes. You can put the old set into cold storage.

Stuart,

A few days have gone by I hope your still listening. How do I reset the backup set? Do you mean create a new storage set (i.e. storage set B) using new DLT tapes and set this new storage set as the destination for my existing backup script?

Doug

You've got the idea. Go to Configure>Backup Sets and choose the set in question, we'll call it Backup Set B. Under the Options tab, click configure. The option you want is "New Media." This will create a new backup set called "Backup Set B [001]." Any scripts that called the old backup set will automatically point to the new one.

When it comes time to backup to this set, be sure to use blank media or media that you have erased. Because it's a new backup set, the first backup will get everything. Assuming you haven't disabled matching, subsequent backups will be incremental.

BTW- "Backup Set" is Dantz's new term for "Storage Set" but they are exactly the same thing.

• 2 years later...

Archived