Vista Retrospect Express HD logon problem to Network Drive

WillieL

Hi

We bought Iomega Home Network Drive, with Retrospect Express HD.

We then map the drive folder and log in successfully via Windows Explorer on both XP Pro and Vista Business (see NOTE).

NOTE: 1) On XP, when logging in via Windows Explorer, it greys out the user name field and only prompts for password.

2) On Vista, when logging in via Windows Explorer, it does not accept the username when written as 192.168.0.4\Guest, but accepts it when written as Guest@192.168.0.4.

PROBLEM: The problem comes in inside Retrospect Express HD, when we choose the destination folder on the network drive, and it prompts us for the username and password. It accepts login on an XP machine when logging in as 192.168.0.4\Guest, but it does not accept it on the Vista machine, no matter what format (192.168.0.4\Guest or Guest@192.168.0.4).

Backing up to a Linux based NAS device: When choosing a Linux based NAS device as a backup destination, Retrospect Express HD requires you to include the name of the NAS device along with your username and password.

Example:

Username: nas_device_name\username

Password: my_password

Hi Robin

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. From a Vista machine, when we want to access it, we only get on when logging on using username@nas_device_name format, and then map the drive. nas_device_name\username format does not work in Vista's Windows Explorer for logon to this device.

I assume the username@nas_device_name format does not work in Express HD, and that might be the reason why we cannot connect through Express, but through Windows Explorer?

Thank you.

We did try nas_device_name\username several times before both on Vista's Retrospect and Vista's Windows Explorer, and didn't work in any of the cases.

Again, the only assumption I can make is because Vista in Windows Explorer accepted our logon only as username@nas_device_name, and not as nas_device_name\username, maybe it also receives it from Retrospect as nas_device_name\username, which does not work.

I hope it makes sense...

XP works fine...

Hi Robin

I hope you haven't forgotten about me. We do need your help on this, or any recommendation you might have for support in South Africa.

Feel free to e-mail me as well (or any of your technical personnel), should you maybe have more specific questions.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

Willie

Robin

I've e-mailed the support contact, but I haven't had even an acknowledgment that they received it or not, so can you please just maybe forward our forum conversation, or at least tell the guys to wake up and let me know if they received anything or not, and not just to leave me hanging. I don't appreciate that.

Thank you.

Willie