Retrospect post system reinstall

Hello

I recently had to do an archive and install with OS X 10.4.11. Since doing that, my backup seems to have lost something. It says always that the (incremental) backup is up to date, without running through all the files actually to check. I did download and reinstall the latest version of Retrospect before running the backup as I know it's a "sensitive" program!

I recall having had this trouble before, and the only way to fix it I found was to do a new backup.

Is there some setting/file I can change to make its behaviour return to normal to avoid starting the backup from scratch again?

Many thanks

Nigel Strudwick

Check the Source and Destination of your script. It's likely that the Mac OS X installer changed the unique file ID of some of the folders on your drive; depending on how you've configured Retrospect to work, you may actually be trying to backup something other then what you think you're trying to back up.

Dave

Dave

Thanks. I just took a look at that, and all the stuff seems OK, but I reset them anyway, and still got the "everything's up to date" message. Do you have any more thoughts? Perhaps it's time anyway to do a recycle backup...

Your reply was much appreciated. Best

Nigel

all the stuff seems OK...

Without knowing exactly what steps you are taking, I can't know exactly what you are doing wrong. But if you have new items on your Source, Retrospect will Match them against items in your Backup Set and act according to how you've asked it to behave.

To see what Retrospect sees, preflight an Immediate Backup, and click on Files Chosen. That will scan your Source, Match against your Destination, and display files with icons to indicate how Retrospect will behave during the Execution. Refer to the Users Guide for a description of the icons used in the Browser window.

Dave

Thanks a lot. I've persuaded it now to do a new recycle backup, but I'll keep this in mind should it happen again. I like Retrospect, but every so often it has done something which I don't quite follow!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and I'll look at them when I've got this lot backed up properly.

Best wishes

Nigel