Assertion -923 and -928 errors

Hello:

We are getting the message:

Internal consistency check failed: Assertion check at "elem.c-928"

The backup machine is a G4 1.2GHZ with 1.5GB of RAM and is running OS 10.4.10. We have daily backups and the frequency of the failures is 2-4 times a month. Sometimes instead of -928, the failure would be -923. The backup machine is running Retrospect 6.1.138 and have noticed that there has been no driver updates applied. The backup clients are all Macs and their respective OS varies from 9.1 to 10.4.10. The OS 10.x clients are running a varied version of Retrospect client software: from 6.0.108 to 6.1.130. When the Assertion checks most often occur is while the clients with the 6.1.130 Retrospect Client software is being backed up. I have read another thread on this matter which stated the their problem seemed to have been solved when an older version of the Client was installed. At this point I'm not sure what my first step to resolve the problem should be- install an RDU, if so, what version, or install the Client version 6.0.108 to the troublesome clients?

Any help in greatly appreciated.

At this point I'm not sure what my first step to resolve the problem should be...

Have you read the Knowledgebase Tech Note 307 Macintosh Internal Consistency Check and Configuration Errors?

> should (I) install an RDU...?

Yes.

> if so, what version

Start with the most current version.

> The backup machine is a G4 1.2GHZ with 1.5GB of RAM

Backup machines need more then a PowerPC chip to be much of a Macintosh. What is the model of machine you are using? What Type of Backup Set are you using? What make/model of backup device might you be working with?

Thanks for your response.

The backup machine is a G4 Quicksilver unit which has been upgraded with an aftermarket CPU and supporting hardware. The backup implementation consists of three scripts backing up to three separate external HDDs via Firewire 400. The enclosures are generic and the HDDs are of the IDE interface type. The HDDs are a mixture of Seagate and Western Digital units.

Yes, I did read that Tech Note which was mentioned above. The Assertion Check failures occur during the backup process.

We switched over to this current setup from an older G4 in November '07. It was running version 6.1.126 with no RDUs applied. That machine never had any Assertion errors, at all. We were using the very same external HDD backup sets and backing up the very same clients. At this point I'm not sure if we have a conflict/corruption in a piece of hardware, or is the current version software, 6.1.138, just "buggy" with our setup. I have not applied the RDU which you mentioned above.

I realize the backup machine is marginal- most of the resources are spent on production operations and meeting their needs and very little on overhead. I suppose it's that way in many organizations. However, it's difficult to work sometimes given these limitations.

Thanks for any additional input.

Edited by Guest

We were using the very same external HDD backup sets and backing up the very same clients

There are no "HDD Backup Sets" in Retrospect for the Macintosh. If you are writing data to external hard drives, you are using either File Backup Sets or a Removable Disk Backup Set. Which are you using?

Processor upgrade cards were never supported by Dantz/EMC for use with Retrospect. That doesn't mean that they can't/won't work, but it does mean that they were never tested.

When the program asserts like this, it spits out a log file that can be used with EMC Technical Support. It's a few bucks to open an incident, but it might be necessary to discover what's wrong with your setup.

Dave

We switched over to this current setup from an older G4 in November '07. It was running version 6.1.126 with no RDUs applied. That machine never had any Assertion errors, at all. We were using the very same external HDD backup sets and backing up the very same clients.

I was refering to the physical enclosures which house the HDDs, not a Retrospect utility.