Disaster Recovery CD-R disc image over 650 MB

Trying to make Disaster Recovery CD with Retrospect 7.5 for Windows, with the snapshot for my boot, C, partition, I get a warning message, "Disaster Recovery CD-R disc image will be over 650 MB". This never happened before (which was before junking my old PC and installing on a new PC which has accumulated far less junk than the old one.

I'd sure hate to have to start searching for files to move temporarily from C elsewhere. Note that I have hardly any applications installed in C:\Program files (only those which offer no choice); and I have few file in C:\Documents and Settings (as I've redirected My Documents, My Pictures, etc., to other partitions). And I cleaned out temporary files and temp directories before trying to make the Disaster Recovery image.

P.S. I used the forums' search feature and located several relevant items, but when I clicked the link to any of those items, I was returned to the main forum page -- so impossible to find the actual posts!

• Like 18

• 6 months later...

Mentioned folder have been inspected for large files in Retrospect App Folder, System 32/Drivers etc...nothing really significant.

BUT

Analyzing the image created "Restore Local Disk" with Nero Mount Image and Duplicate File Finder, I noted that the image for Disaster Recovery (around 722Mb) presents a lot of files duplicated (same size - same name) in Root Folder, Drivers and I386 folders.

Is there any thing to do about this ?

Please help to get rid of this 650MB!

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but it is still relevant.

I had the same problem with Retrospect Professional 7.6; the size of my disaster recovery ISO file for Windows XP SP3 was 843MB. My solution was to burn a DVD instead of a CD.

This is what I did:

- In Retrospect, I used "Disaster Recovery" to create an ISO file, but I did not attempt to burn it.

- I then used ImgBurn to burn the ISO file to a DVD. I did not need to change any settings; if any conversion of the ISO file was needed, it handled it automatically.

- I was able to boot from the DVD. I haven't attempted a restore, but the DVD seems to be in the correct format.