error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

jeffpflueger

retrospect version 7.5.508

Windows XP

OK. It has been almost two months now that I have been trying to resolve this issue.

It started with an error that would crash retospect everytime a Catalog file for a particular backup set was read.

I reinstalled Retrospect several times, updated as many times as well. I deleted the configuration files to have them rebuilt, I rebuilt the catalog file several times (days to do this btw)

Finally, I was forced to delete my entire backup set and rebuilt the actual backup set (a readyNAS NV+). I checked the filesystem and integrity of NAS - with no problems

Now, retrospect no longer crashes when it tries to access the catalog file for the backup set. Now, I get this error for each volume in the backup set as it tries to back them up:

error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

and then the backup quits.

What to do now? Rebuild the catalog file from this backup set? Again?

Here are some entries from the log to provide full details:

########

Repair Catalog -> Update Existing Catalog File:

#####

log:

+ Executing Recatalog at 4/29/2008 4:14 PM

To Backup Set ReadyNAS_NV...

4/29/2008 4:14:26 PM: Execution completed successfully

########

Tools -> Verify Media

########

+ Executing Verify at 4/29/2008 4:16 PM

Can't load source session tree for 4/25/2008 5:15 PM, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

4/29/2008 4:16:36 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 421424 files, 875.4 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:01 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

#####

Running the script I have to backup my computers:

#####

+ Normal backup using Backup_Photo_Media_to_NAS at 4/28/2008 5:50 PM

* Resolved container My Computer container to 2 volumes:

1TB Drive (C:)

WindowsXP (E:)

- 4/28/2008 5:50:03 PM: Copying 1TB Drive (C:)

Trouble matching 1TB Drive (C:) to ReadyNAS_NV, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

- 4/28/2008 5:57:37 PM: Copying WindowsXP (E:)

Trouble matching WindowsXP (E:) to ReadyNAS_NV, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

4/28/2008 6:00:25 PM: Connected to Ebullient

* Resolved container Ebullient to 1 volumes:

Local Disk (C:) on Ebullient

- 4/28/2008 6:00:25 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:) on Ebullient

Trouble matching Local Disk (C:) on Ebullient to ReadyNAS_NV, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

4/28/2008 6:08:24 PM: Connected to grey-pc

* Resolved container grey-pc to 1 volumes:

Backup HDD 250 (C:) on grey-pc

- 4/28/2008 6:08:24 PM: Copying Backup HDD 250 (C:) on grey-pc

Trouble matching Backup HDD 250 (C:) on grey-pc to ReadyNAS_NV, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

Can't access backup client NettiesLaptop, error -530 (backup client not found)

4/28/2008 6:12:07 PM: Execution incomplete

Total duration: 00:21:43 (00:21:40 idle/loading/preparing)

######

everywhere, it is the "error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)" error....

Any ideas?

You may have a problem on the the disk containing the catalog file. This error points to a damaged catalog file, if you already rebuilt it, then you may need to rebuild it again... saving it to a different disk. Make sure you are saving the catalog on a local disk and not the NAS.

• 2 years later...

We just replaced our Exabyte drive with a Quantum Superloader...ever since, we have been receiving the 641 error. We have 2 backup sets. I rebuild each set from the tapes and they will run OK 1 tim before producing the errors again. I never had these errors with the Exabyte drive. Nothing else in the environment has changed. I have scanned the drive where i save the catalog files and found no trouble. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

OK, not impressed with information presented on this issue so far. :-) I just encountered this problem. Retrospect will not execute so rebuilding catalogs is impossible. (Not a good idea as a first response anyway!)

I discovered that the disk (1 TB) that I send my backup data to has disappeared from the system, i.e., it is inoperative currently - or maybe permanently. Have yet to check it out. Anyway, I went to C:\Program Data\Retrospect and changed "Config75.dat" to "Config75.datxxx" so Retrospect couldn't find it. Then ran Retrospect. It then executed and created a new "Config75.dat" and then was usable.

So, IF I can get my disk back on-line then I will delete "Config75.dat" and then rename "Config75.datxxx" to "Config75.dat" and then run Retrospect and everything should work and be as it was before the disk went off-line.

YOUR problem (whoever encounters this condition) might be different. You might have a corrupted "Config75.dat" file or who knows what else. That is definitely the place to start looking though.

A little more error checking in this area and a little more information presented to the user regarding the ACTUAL cause of Error 641 might be a good idea for a future release of Retrospect?

(I mean, how hard would it be to report the data path name that you are attempting to access and say that it is completely missing.)

Hey, I love Retrospect and have been using it for years! So don't read anything more than "mild frustration" into my comments. :-) Took an hour to figure this out which was 50 minutes longer than it should have taken me... :-)

Thanks,

Howard