ReadyNAS error -1013 HELP!

Thomas.Dahl

I have the ReadyNAS NV+ installed on our network and am using Retrospect OEM Professional (although I also had the problem when I tried the Express version) to back up a hard drive on an Win 2000 machine onto the ReadyNAS NV+

Retrospect keeps coming back with error messages:

1. File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Amsino\Fairs\Medica 2003\100MSDCF\DSCN1557.JPG": can't write, error -1013 (malformed name)

2. File "E:\Downloads\Twinhead downloads\121i BG WLAN\wlan2200.exe": can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

I get thousands of these messages when I try to back up.

I have tried every permutation of settings on the ReadyNAS NV+ I can think of and I cannot get rid of the problem.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Is there a way to list all the settings in the ReadyNAS NV+ so that I can show them here in the forum?

I would really appreciate some help as I have had the ReadyNAS for 10 months and has not worked yet for me.

I have a thread running over on the Netgear Forum but no-one seems to be able to help me there..

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15639&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Many thanks! Thomas.

The last log you posted on the ReadyNAS forum shows

File "E:\Web Development\Scratch Area\Thumbs.db": different creation date/time (src: 30/04/2007 07:46:20, dest: 04/11/2007 12:08:42)

File "E:\Web Development\Trade Shows\Thumbs.db": different creation date/time (src: 30/04/2007 07:46:26, dest: 04/11/2007 12:08:44)

File "E:\Web Development\Tubing\Thumbs.db": different creation date/time (src: 30/04/2007 07:46:26, dest: 04/11/2007 12:08:42)

File "E:\Web Development Old\Thumbs.db": different creation date/time (src: 30/04/2007 07:43:08, dest: 09/05/2007 07:51:48)

26/02/2008 14:59:11: 4,596 execution errors

Completed: 99356 files, 174.3 GB

Performance: 307.4 MB/minute (232.3 copy, 454.6 compare)

Duration: 19:21:31 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

These errors just mean the file changed between the copy and compare phase of the operation. This happens even outside of Retrospect. If you drag and drop the entire C: disk to the ReadyNAS (or almost any Linux based NAS device), and do a file compare you will see that file dates will be different for random files. Retrospect must report these file date changes even though they are not really important to the file integrity.

Overall, I don't recommend doing a Duplicate to a NAS device due to file system compatibility issues between the source and destination. Users should do a Backup to a NAS device so that Retrospect maintains control over the data, it would probably eliminate all reported errors.

Edited by Guest

Dear Mayoffm

Changing to "Backup" mode made no difference what so ever. I still have over 4000 execution errors. Here are a couple of examples:

Do you have any idea what is going on and what I can do about it?

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Banners Hanging\NTTF.psd": different creation date/time (src: 10/02/2008 17:51:00, dest: 18/02/2008 10:57:54)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\Braxton Front Final.psd": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 13:06:46, dest: 27/02/2008 13:06:48)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\Braxton.psd": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 13:00:28, dest: 27/02/2008 13:04:52)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\Carclo Front Final.tif": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 13:07:32, dest: 27/02/2008 13:07:36)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\NiTi Front Banner.psd": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 12:21:16, dest: 27/02/2008 12:22:58)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\NiTi Front Banner.tif": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 12:25:18, dest: 27/02/2008 12:27:52)

File "E:\JVS Active Medical Principals\Y_Graphics Principals\Medtec 2008\Graphics\Front_Banners\NiTi Front Final.tif": different creation date/time (src: 27/02/2008 13:09:18, dest: 27/02/2008 13:09:32)

....................................... and so on...

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\574.181.013 Project 2711\2001-05-11Marquardt First Sample Report 574.181.013b.pdf": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\first sample inspection reports\01.07.27 574.232.013 StaciModule2705_Bestückt11.doc": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\List Of Marquardt Documentation All Projects\List of Documents at JVS.xls": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\original orders from Marquardt\01.12.05 574.120.033 p-o 151191-02103.pdf": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\original orders from Marquardt\01.12.10 574.122.013 order 506.596 -7021.pdf": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\original orders from Marquardt\01.12.10 574.122.013 order 506.596-7021.PDF": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\original orders from Marquardt\02.02.14 Bestellung 151982-02200 Modul 574.245.013.pdf": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

File "E:\JVS Terminated Principals\STACI\Presentations\Powerpoints from Electronica 2002 STACI\Alte Präsentationen und Bilder\Marquardt neu\Modules 574.xxx.xxx\original orders from Marquardt\02.02.21 574.247.013 order no. 152074 -02200 .PDF": can't write, error -1128 (path too long)

..................................... and so on....

I really appreciate your help on this!

Are you sure this is a backup and not a duplicate? I have NEVER see a can't write path too long error when doing a backup into a backup set. A backup set doesn't write to E:\ is writes to a backup set. The log will tell you very clearly what it is doing when it starts.

Was this a Normal or Recycle backup? The log will tell you that too.

Keep in mind that this is a Windows error and not a Retrospect error. Windows does not support file paths larger then 256 characters.

Thomas, you appear to be performing a duplicate operation, where the E: drive ends up with a copy of the C: drive. By doing this you are missing out most of the features of retrospect, and might as well be using Microsoft's ROBOCOPY command instead.

You are advised to create a BACKUP SET, of type DISK, using the E: drive. Then rather than perform a duplicate operation that duplicates the C: drive to the E: drive, perform a RETROSPECT BACKUP of drive C: to the backup set you have created.

Here are some of the things you are missing out on by using duplicate instead of retrospect backups:

1. System state backups and the ability to recover the computer.

2. Compression

3. Multiple points in time snapshots of the source drive, to recover a file how it was last week for example.

4. Automatic management and grooming of snapshots.

The problem you are describing would be also be solved by switching from duplicate to backup, so why not give it a try?

Obviously, the current content of the readyNAS unit (the E: drive), seeing it is a backup copy of the data elsewhere (C: drive?), may need to be wiped to make room on the drive. A Retrospect disk-based backup set (eg named "Thomas Set") creates a folder on the drive as follows:

E:\Retrospect\Thomas Set\1-Thomas Set\

During backup retrospect then writes 600MB files into this folder named "AA000000.rdb", "AA000001.rdb" etc.

The problems about writing long paths to the E: drive would thus disappear, as would any issue about the file date being different, because retrospect doesn't care about the date of these .rdb files.

Folks..

The weirdest thing. After making a few "backups" with all these error above, retrospect suddenly started to back up correctly. I would love attach the log to show you.. But honestly, the program seems to have repaired itself. I have not done anything and the execution times are the same as before. Very strange, but at least my brick is now behaving one year later..

Thanks for your input.

Thomas

Edited by Guest

Well this now works fine as a back-up. But how do I now access the files on my ReadyNAS? The files are all there I guess, but unaccessible. There are hundreds of .rdb files.. How do I even know that the back-up would be recoverable in case of an emergency?

In the era of very cheap mass storage I really do not need to have data compacted and scrambled. I like the idea of replica sets and recovery points, however I cannot use them live and I have no idea if they will work.

This reminds me of nightmares with Norton Ghost.

My users need to be able to get to their files.

It looks like what I really want is a duplicates set and not a back-up as before. And this does not work. So what do I do?

Edited by Guest

There are hundreds of .rdb files.. How do I even know that the back-up would be recoverable in case of an emergency?

If you suspect that someone might have deleted an .rdb file, simply perform a media verify on the backup set. Any missing or corrupt files will be identified. If files have gone missing, you can then choose to perform a catalog rebuild which will then reconcile what's left and things can continue from there.

This type of backup is much more recoverable in case of an emergency because system state is also saved, as well as multiple points in time etc.

If you really feel uneasy, why not put the retrospect installer "Retro-EN_7_5_508.exe" on the disk as well as a .txt file with the product keys so you can readily re-install, depending on the disaster.

One of the optional add-ons is user initiated restore, where users can visit a web page (hosted on the retrospect server) and select files for restore back to their own PC. Maybe this would assist your users.

http://www.emcinsignia.com/products/smb/retroforwin/addons/

Retrospect's ability to restore is one of it's strong points. Why not perform a test restore of some files or some folders so you can get a feel for how quick and easy it is.

User Initiated Restore works well but you may want to consider the new Retrospect Continuous Backup Policy Server Add on too. Your user data is automatically copied to the destination of choice. Users do not directly visit the disk to restore data, they can use the RCB Agent control panel to search for files they would like to restore. They can also Right Click on a file to restore an old version of the file.

A trial version is available on the website.

Ok, thanks guys but this seems like a lot of work just to see if each back-up works. I would need to do it every time.

But I do not even want a back-up. I want my files where I can go and get them and where users can save their data. Whatever I try I cannot seem to use this software to make drive duplicates (which came with the ReadyNAS) or the ReadyNAS directly over the network with File Manager to do this.

It seems I have to give up and trash this unit. I can save the hard-disks and use them somewhere else, but what a waste of money for the ReadyNAS itself. I bought large drives so that I would not need to compress anything for ease of use over the network. I feel pretty hard done by as the box said I could use the RaedyNAS to store files directly from Windows machines. Each user could have their own space etc. This simply does not work without thousands of strange error messages.

Does anyone know of a network storage device that works and is recommended?

• 2 weeks later...

We've bought two of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=318

My Book® World Edition™ II

Network Storage System with

Remote Access

1.5 TB, Ethernet

We had to reconfigure them to turn OFF the remote access system, and reconfigured the 1.5TB unit so that it mirrors rather than spans the disks --> 750GB for reliability.

This works fine with retrospect, but admittedly we are using them for BACKUP rather than DUPLICATE like you are trying to do...