MAC OS 10.5> catalog locked

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.138

launched at 4/18/2008 12:05 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.14.101

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 4/18/2008 12:09 PM

Can't add to backup set 2007_HD: The catalog is locked.

4/18/2008 12:09:22 PM: Execution incomplete.

MacBook Pro 2GB Ram - Please advise!!

What version of Retrospect created this backup set originally?

>Same 6.1.x

What type of backup set is this (file, removable disk, tape, etc.)?

>this is a file on a Harddrive

What does Terminal show for

ls -alo 2007_HD

(if you navigate to where the catalog is)?

> Don't know what any of this means.

What changed from the last time this worked?

> Main thing: Upgraded to Leopard after a hard drive crash.

What does Terminal show for

ls -alo 2007_HD

(if you navigate to where the catalog is)?

> Don't know what any of this means.

Russ is trying to get you to confirm that the catalog is not, in fact, locked.

-Terminal is an applications in your Utilities folder.

- Launch Terminal, and into the intimidating black box type:

ls -alo

then type a space

- Open the folder that contains the 2007_HD catalog file, and drag'n'drop that file right into the black Terminal window.

Depending on where your catalog files are stored, you might see a crazy long string such as

djindepth$ ls -alo /Users/djindepth/Documents/Retrospect \Catalogs/2007/2007_HD

- Press Return

- Copy the text that shows up, and paste it into a message here.

Dave

david-johnsons-computer-2:~ DJ$ ls -alo /Volumes/1-2007_HD

total 468075392

drwxr-xr-x 11 DJ 442 Apr 18 10:47 .

drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root 204 Apr 18 22:50 ..

-rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 6148 Apr 18 22:53 .DS_Store

drw-------@ 3 DJ 102 Apr 18 10:47 .Spotlight-V100

drwxrwxrwt@ 3 DJ 102 Mar 9 2007 .TemporaryItems

d-wx-wx-wt 4 DJ 136 Apr 18 22:50 .Trashes

drwx------ 6 DJ 204 Apr 18 22:51 .fseventsd

-rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 1024 Mar 9 2007 Desktop DB

-rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 2 Mar 9 2007 Desktop DF

-rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 239654412288 Feb 5 19:49 Retrospect Data

-rw-rw----@ 1 DJ 57180 Oct 4 2007 Retrospect Data.cat

david-johnsons-computer-2:~ DJ$

The internal 250GB hard drive showed signs of volume errors. Many tests and attempts to fix it showed no improvement. Tests also revealed a possible RAM problem. Ultimately replaced the HD, RAM, upgraded the OS, and reinstalled my software from an image I had made of the drive before errors happened. Everything seems to be working except for backup.

It appears that you are using a Removable Disk Backup Set, and that the volume "/Volumes/1-2007_HD/" is the first member in the set.

If that's true, then you have attempted to store your Catalog file on the backup Media, which won't work.

Your first step would be to move your Catalog file to your local hard drive, educate Retrospect to the new location (by double-clicking on the newly moved file), and try again.

Dave

>>

04-19-08 10:31 AM - Post#105977 New Reply

In response to djindepth

It appears that you are using a Removable Disk Backup Set, and that the volume "/Volumes/1-2007_HD/" is the first member in the set.

If that's true, then you have attempted to store your Catalog file on the backup Media, which won't work.

Your first step would be to move your Catalog file to your local hard drive, educate Retrospect to the new location (by double-clicking on the newly moved file), and try again.

The file is quite large and occupies a 250GB drive. It represents many accumulated backups. I don't have a drive large enough to copy it on to. Any other options?

>>You should describe what was involved in the crash and subsequent upgrade.

The drive and file (2007_HD) was out of the loop during all of the events. I can't see how it would be relevant.

Let's go back and start at the beginning.

- What Type of Backup Set are you using? (Tape, Internet, File, Removable Disk, Optical Disk)

- If this is any Type of Backup Set other then File, where is the Catalog file stored? (re-reading your Terminal output reveals that the improperly stored Retrospect Data.cat is old, but it should not be forgotten for troubleshooting)

- Using the same steps Russ suggested above, what does Terminal show about the Catalog file that you are actually using (the file should be named simply "2007_HD")

>>You should describe what was involved in the crash and subsequent upgrade.

The drive and file (2007_HD) was out of the loop during all of the events. I can't see how it would be relevant.

Well, um, it used to work, and now it doesn't. In between you did some stuff that likely broke it. That makes it relevant if you're searching for answers to why the software no longer behaves as expected.

I'm with Russ on this one now. Provide detail-rich specific information about your hardware and software configuration, provide accurate steps as to what you did before and what you're doing now, and we'll try and help.

Dave

Well, um, it used to work, and now it doesn't. In between you did some stuff that likely broke it. That makes it relevant if you're searching for answers to why the software no longer behaves as expected.

>> Sarcasm? Is that really necessary? Why assume it was me?

Occam's Razor: The system software changed to the newest version - Dantz can't/won't/ keep up. I suspect with the advent of "Time Machine" retrospect becomes redundant. Just want to know how long it will be before they fix the plug-in or admit that they won't support MAC anymore.

I'm with Russ on this one now. Provide detail-rich specific information about your hardware and software configuration, provide accurate steps as to what you did before and what you're doing now, and we'll try and help.

>> Read the thread Doctor. It's all there. Everything that you or Russ have requested.

"catalog locked"

"macbook pro"

"new system - leopard"

"file"

"external drive"

"terminal report -rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 239654412288 Feb 5 19:49 Retrospect Data"

I appreciate the help but you would do well to shake that geek chip off your shoulder. Don't assume that everyone knows exactly what you mean all the time or that they are choosing to make your life difficult somehow.

You explained about the terminal - that helped a ton. Process of elimination might be quicker for all involved if you have an idea. It will certainly be quicker than waiting for me to figure out what you want.

Sarcasm? Is that really necessary?

In all seriousness, yes, it's necessary. I do this (answer questions on the Forum) for my own enjoyment. I enjoy solving mysteries, I enjoy supporting Retrospect, and I enjoy an ocassional snark when it's warranted.

Why assume it was me?

Seriously? Because you're the Original Poster! If Someone Else is responsible for this, you failed to make it clear.

Read the thread Doctor. It's all there. Everything that you or Russ have requested.

Well, now you're just being intentionally obtuse. Post # 105991 above includes some very specific questions, each one denoted with a "-" character to define them as such. But for some reason you're unwilling to answer them.

You earlier described your configuration as "this is a file on a Harddrive," and now reiterate this description by simply stating "file."

But neither is a definitive answer, and the information provided so far does not make things clear. Either it's a File Backup Set being stored on a hard drive, or it's a Removable Disk Backup Set with the hard drive being used as a Media Member.

The output of your Terminal hints at the latter; the name of the volume "1-2007_HD" is consistent with how Retrospect would name a Member of a Removable Disk Backup Set, and the name of the file on the volume ("Retrospect Data") is what Retrospect names the file written to Members of a Removable Backup Set. But at the same time there's a file named "Retrospect Data.cat" that wouldn't be on a Member of a Removable Backup Set, and would only be created by having a File Backup Set that the user just happened to call "Retrospect Data."

The system software changed to the newest version

I note the intentional use of the passive voice here. Somebody changed the software. No hard drive crash, no description of the circumstances of the "change" in software, no possible acceptance of personal responsibility.

I suspect with the advent of "Time Machine" retrospect becomes redundant.

Perhaps for some, in the same way that the existence of Core Image based editors such as Pixelmator makes the existence of Photoshop redundant. But others will find the need for the greater capabilities of the more expensive and more complex program.

Process of elimination might be quicker for all involved if you have an idea

My gut feeling is that you did something wrong, probably during the period between when it was working and when it stopped working. But without having the answers to some very basic questions (Type of Backup Set, POSIX ownership/ACL ownership of the file that's being reported as locked, specific steps taken that result in the error, etc) then it's impossible to offer any suggestions.

As for the contention that others should offer up solutions (for you) in advance of specific information (from you) as a way to save time (for you) puts the responsibility in the wrong place. You have the hardware and software that's misbehaving, and you're the one asking others on the internets for help. It's up to you to provide the information needed or requested.

Your users and groups are also messed up. Look at the ownership (UIDs) for the ls listing you made.

Russ, what do you see? The only terminal listing in the thread has only root or "DJ" as user names; please elaborate.

Occam's Razor: the most likely cause of an error reporting "The catalog is locked" would be that the catalog is locked.

Early requests for information relating to the catalog file have been unresponsive. But if there are ownership problems on the drive, one possibility of the cause is hinted at by the phrase "reinstalled my software from an image I had made of the drive before errors happened." Knowing those exact steps would help too.

Dave

Russ, what do you see? The only terminal listing in the thread has only root or "DJ" as user names; please elaborate.

I see two things (only relevant stuff is shown):

david-johnsons-computer-2:~ DJ$ ls -alo /Volumes/1-2007_HD
total 468075392
drwxr-xr-x 11 DJ 442 Apr 18 10:47 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root 204 Apr 18 22:50 ..

-rw-r--r--@ 1 DJ 239654412288 Feb 5 19:49 Retrospect Data
-rw-rw----@ 1 DJ 57180 Oct 4 2007 Retrospect Data.cat

(1) the UID of the owner of . and "Retrospect Data" and "Retrospect Data.cat" is that of "DJ", and "." and "Retrospect Data" are not group-writable. That's not what I would expect for Retrospect files; I'd expect root ownership, which is what we see on our Xserve for Retrospect-created catalogs:

mail:/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Catalogs admin$ ls -alo
total 15435616
drwxr-xr-x   175 admin  admin  -       5950 May  4  2007 .
drwxrwxr-x    20 admin  staff  -        680 Apr  5 13:55 ..
-rw-rw----     1 root   admin  -  209313764 Aug  4  2006 VXA Set A [001]
-rw-rw----     1 root   admin  -  215044268 Aug  4  2006 VXA Set A [002]
-rw-rw----     1 root   admin  -  203834884 Aug  5  2006 VXA Set A [003]
-rw-rw----     1 root   admin  -  225159968 Aug  4  2006 VXA Set A [004]  
(and it goes on and on...)

The reason that POSIX group name is not shown is unclear; perhaps that's something new with Leopard - I'm not running Leopard yet because of various issues that it still has with Open Directory, etc.

(2) also, there are extended attributes present for the Retrospect catalog file and the data file (note the "@" after the POSIX permissions - See the manual for "ls"). That might be causing the problem, too.

Man page for ls

Russ

Permissions shown for the "Retrospect Data" file on a Member of a Removable Disk Backup Set look consistent with a test volume I wrote to:

daveiMac:/Volumes/2-NanoTest dave$ ls -lao
-rw-r--r--@  1 dave  7877120 Apr 14 15:21 Retrospect Data

As I noted in a previous post, the presence of the "Retrospect Data.cat" file is unexplained by the available information. It's mod date is months older then the other, so without knowing for sure what Type of Backup Set the Original Poster is actually using, I'm just discounting it for now.

> The reason that POSIX group name is not shown is unclear; perhaps that's something new with Leopard

Must be; the "o" flag appears to hide the group column, which is shown when the "ls" flags are used.

daveiMac:/Volumes/2-NanoTest dave$ ls -la
-rw-r--r--@  1 dave  dave  7877120 Apr 14 15:21 Retrospect Data

Only the OP can provide the necessary details; but somewhere there is likely a file named "2007_HD" with Type/Creator codes of Wrp2/Pery that is causing the problem.

daveiMac:~ ls -la /Users/dave/NanoTest 
-rw-rw----@ 1 dave  admin  27040 Apr 14 15:21 /Users/dave/NanoTest

In Terminal,

locate 2007_HD

Or maybe

sudo locate 2007_HD

??

given that it's possible that this Catalog file has traveled from the original volume, to the backup image that was referenced, then back to the newly refreshed Leopard volume during the "reinstall" phase of the story. No telling what user owns that file now, or where it might be hiding.

Catalog:

Macintosh HD: Applications: Retrospect 6.1: 2007_HD

Yeah! Now we know where the catalog file is!

And, since we know _where_ it is, we can learn it's attributes; things such as ownership and group identification!

:glasses: :rollie: :boxie:

So please see Post# 105969 above, where the steps that it takes to get Terminal to display information about a specific file were posted. It would also probably be a good idea to get ownership information of the /Applications/Retrospect 6.1/ folder too.

Given the location of the catalog file (within the Retrospect application folder) it makes it all the more helpful to know exactly what steps were involved with "reinstalled my software from an image I had made of the drive before errors happened".

Robin suggested some steps that included repairing permissions (which doesn't touch Retrospect catalog files or /Applications/Retrospect/) and reformatting the drive (which seems a bit drastic!). Perhaps moving the catalog to /Users/dj/Documents/ might be helpful; if you have a permission issue with that directory, you have bigger problems then Retrospect!

Dave