restoring single tapes from a set

Hello,

I'm trying to do restores from a very large backup catalog file that we have. It manages 21 400gb LTO3 and it's becoming cumbersome on restoring all data and at times, just hangs for hours during the restore.

Is there a way to just restore the data from 1 particular tape of my choosing, that's used in the set? I'm thinking I can manage this full restore of data better if I can go a tape at a time but don't know where to run it like that.

Thanks for any help,

Brett

Is there a way to just restore the data from 1 particular tape of my choosing, that's used in the set?

No. Retrospect is not designed to work that way.

it's becoming cumbersome on restoring all data and at times, just hangs for hours during the restore.

Certainly swapping tapes manually (without a helpful library robot) can be cumbersome. But what exactly are you trying to do that is causing it to hang? And at what point in the process is it hanging?

I'm not trying to do just one set of files or just one folder that was backed up. My project has me pulling ALL files off of all the tapes.

If I may, I'll write out what I'm trying to do.

We backed up enough finished art files from our design studio to fill 21 400gb LTO3 tapes. We are pulling ALL files from all tapes and putting them onto a 30tb RAID system so they will be available for all users to get to at any point. We will still keep these tapes around in case of drive failure plus any new files will be added to this same backup catalog.

When they were backed up to tape, the files were sitting on individual Lacie TB drives. My practice was to backup the entire Lacie drive when it was filled up. So if I look in Retrospect through the "restore an entire disk" option, I can see each of the Lacie drives I was using.

Now what I am doing is a "restore from disk" and choosing one of these drives and put the necessary tapes in my library. A lot of time when I'm running this restore it will get to a point during and run incredibly slow. Incredibly slow like 1mb a minute and do this for hours. It's not like I'm trying to write across the network. The library is directly attached to where I have Retrospect installed, and I am doing a restore to internal drives on the server, then will move them over to the large RAID array.

So let me rephrase my original question. Is there a best way someone recommends to do these restores? Can I do it a tape at a time and maybe through doing it this way, find out if I have damaged media?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Computer specs:

Mac Pro, Leopard 10.5.2, 4gb RAM, 4 750gb internal drives in a RAID 5, ATTO UL5D PCIe card.

Mayoff, you ask about writing to different sets of disks, do you mean when writing to a different drive on my network like a network share? I haven't tried that as I didn't want the potential of clogging some network resources, but I could give it a shot.

It never really stops though. It keeps moving but incredibly slow.

Here's what we've gotten through today. Started a restore @ 9am eastern, ran through 180gb with no issues, then since 12:25, we've only been able to restore about 1gb, in the last 2 hours. It's still moving but we have several hundred more GB of data to bring back.

oh, and that's just a single restore. We have 2 more of these Lacie drive backups to go, that we've seen the same behavior from.

We've gotten the other 5 Lacie disks restored already so I know our process can work. I just don't know if it's something in the catalog file or if it's the media. Thus, trying to think of alternate methods of restoring.