Retrospect can't find SCSI bus devices

I have a brand new PCI-X SCSI card - ATTO model EPCI UL4S - SINGLE CHANNEL, ULTRA320, PCI-X SCSI HOST ADAPTER (as recommended by REtrospect compatability page) in my Dual G5 PowerMac (running OS X 10.5)and it is attached to an external OEM DDS4 DAT Drive which I used to have on my old Dual G4 PowerMac. It worked on the G4, although I can't go back and re-test as I've sold that box.

The problem is that although Apple Profiler sees the card and driver in each of the slots - yep, I tested them all - Retrospect (Retrospect 6.1 with latest update and drive installed) can't see the device. It doesn't even seem to see the SCSI bus.

It seems to scan the internal ATA bus but NOT the SCSI bus (unless it happens so quickly that no feedback is given in the pop-up window that appears while a scan is happening.)

I've used Retrospect and SCSI cards for years from back in the days of 200Mb DSC tapes, so I'm pretty sure I have it configured correctly. I've tried several different SCSI addresses, including the one I used on the old G4.

Retrospect has been doing backups to an external Firewire 800 drive until I decided to go back to DAT tape as I miss the security of being able to store data off-site; also spending AU$500 on a SCSI card was a hard decision - one that hasn't born fruit to date :confused2:

Any ideas?

I have a brand new PCI-X SCSI card - ATTO model EPCI UL4S - SINGLE CHANNEL, ULTRA320, PCI-X SCSI HOST ADAPTER (as recommended by REtrospect compatability page) in my Dual G5 PowerMac (running OS X 10.5)and it is attached to an external OEM DDS4 DAT Drive which I used to have on my old Dual G4 PowerMac. It worked on the G4, although I can't go back and re-test as I've sold that box.

The problem is that although Apple Profiler sees the card and driver in each of the slots - yep, I tested them all - Retrospect (Retrospect 6.1 with latest update and drive installed) can't see the device. It doesn't even seem to see the SCSI bus.

It seems to scan the internal ATA bus but NOT the SCSI bus (unless it happens so quickly that no feedback is given in the pop-up window that appears while a scan is happening.)

I've used Retrospect and SCSI cards for years from back in the days of 200Mb DSC tapes, so I'm pretty sure I have it configured correctly. I've tried several different SCSI addresses, including the one I used on the old G4.

Retrospect has been doing backups to an external Firewire 800 drive until I decided to go back to DAT tape as I miss the security of being able to store data off-site; also spending AU$500 on a SCSI card was a hard decision - one that hasn't born fruit to date :confused2:

Any ideas?

I had same problem. You have to download the latest firmware/Drivers from the ATTO site and install it. Then retrospect sees if fine. (Both old and new beta)

The plot thickens!

Thanks rhwalker - the Kext file is there, and with it I found the logging utility that allows me to track communication with the card.

After a bit of investigation I think that it may not be Retrospect's fault at all because it seems that the ATTO card firmware is lying to me :angryred:

When I went back to check the drivers and configuration of the card using ATTO's Configuration Utility it said that the Flash file was corrupt, even though it said it had loaded successfully, and to complete the process you need to reboot. On reboot the message goes back to it being corrupt. I tried again and the same success message came up but on reboot no change - corrupt.

This is confirmed by the log utility which says the latest Firmware image for the card is not actually a valid image file.

It looks like the ball is in ATTO's court - a pity as I've used their cards since Adaptec dropped the ball with my old G4.

Stay tuned