Backup client reserved Error -505

I have installed Retrospect server.

The local machine backs up fine to disk.

I also have a script that is supposed to backup 5 desktops that have the retrospect client on them once a week. It is configured to backup "documents and settings" they are windows xp sp2 clients. Each time it executes it logs a error -505 "backup client reserved" error in the log for each machine. If I execute the script manually it works fine.

Any idea what is wrong here?

Edited by Guest

What happens if you do an immediate backup of just one client? Does that always work?

What have an open bug that will cause Retrospect to incorrectly report client reserved errors for all clients within the script, while immediate backup will always work. We don't yet know why it does this, but it only happens to some users and not others.

2 workarounds exist:

1) Put each client into individual scripts so each client has it's own script.

2) Put all clients into a Proactive backup script.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have similar issue: error -505 on one networked client out of 4. Attempts to run the script using this client as a source manually give same error. Deletion of client and attempt to add in the same client gives same error: "Sorry, couldn't add backup client, error -505 (backup client reserved)"

Can still access client with windows explorer using normal administrator's default share.

Host and client OS: Win XP SP2

Host Retrospect 7.6 for Windows Professional v 7.6.123

Host driver/hotfix v 7.6.2.101

Client v 7.6.107.0

I have not had chance yet to try locally uninstalling and reinstalling client software on remote computer

• 7 months later...

This error happened twice with me. Both times restart Retrospect app or server didn't resolve the problem.

The Retrospect client was my Microsoft SQL Server and i couldn't restart it.

To solve the problem without restart my SQL Server i used a kill process command in my SQL Server.

At Query Analyser i execute the command:

[color:green]select * from sysprocesses where program_name like '%retrospect%'[/color]

to see the process from Retrospect.

In my case was 3 process running more than 24 hours and are them what i need to kill and solve the problem.

From the result of that command executed before i get the spid column values and used the command:

[color:green]kill [spid_value][/color]

And...the [color:red]error -505 backup client reserved[/color] problem was solved.

Let me explain better.

In my both cases i detected the error when i arrived at my job (lot of emails from rbu user in my inbox). Was 08:00AM and i couldn't wait to 12:00PM or 06:00PM to restart my SQL Server.

And i have a Transaction Log backup every hour, i needed to resolve the problem as soon as possible before next backup starts.

So, i did what i explained previously and at 09:00AM my Transaction Log backup was successfully executed.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
The Retrospect client was my Microsoft SQL Server and i couldn't restart it.

Why couldn't you?

Or did you mean you were not allowed to restart it?

Clearly he means it's not practical to reboot an SQL server during peak business hours...

That is, in fact, not clear at all. "Couldn't restart" could mean just about anything.

I agree fully that "it's not practical to reboot an SQL server during peak business hours".

However, you could schedule a restart in the dead of the night. Or for urgent matters during a lunch break.