Are you saying that you are running a copy of MacOS 10.3.6 from 2004, using whatever version of Retrospect was shipping four years ago?

and what would be the best course to solve it?

One step might be to update to current software versions. Or perhaps you are not asking a question about software that is four years old.

What would be your hardware configuration, Retrospect version, RDU version, MacOS version, etc., etc., etc?

we run the latest version for mac os x on 10.3.9 server on a g4 xserve. The source is a mounted afp (netatalk on linux i think) volume, the destination is an HP AIT3 tape library. Funnily enough it worked fine the following night, even though nothing was altered, so it seems it may have have disappeared.

I will see if we can have the drive checked... the drive in question runs on a raid set in a third party server designed for managing high volumes of graphics media, so is very large, about 5TB i think. Administration of this is done remotely by the system vendors.