Making AIT Tape Duplications???

So I have a mixed library of AIT-3 and AIT-5 tapes. We just recently upgraded to AIT-5. So therefore i have 2 tape drives (AIT-3 & 5). What i want to do is make duplications of each tape. Can I hook both drives up and make the AIT-5 drive read off the AIT-3 drive to make a duplication? If so how would I go about this operation. I see alot of tutorials about duplications from hard drives, but none tape-to-tape. Possible? Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Use "Transfer" backup set to transfer from one tape backup set to another. Tools > Copy, Transfer

See page 60 of the Users Guide. Note that this is not a tape duplication, but is the creation of a new backup set on the destination tape with the contents of the source tape. Almost as good, but it will have a different backup set name.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the quick response. Couple other quick questions for ya. Since I have a ton of AIT-3 tapes, can i consolidate them to AIT-5, so that Im not buying so many tapes? Or does it need that specific catalog to each tape?

Also, can i just daisy chain the two drives? Do i need to do anything special to them? Thanks so much!

Ryan

Since I have a ton of AIT-3 tapes, can i consolidate them to AIT-5, so that Im not buying so many tapes?

Sure. Just transfer "AIT-3 #1" backup set to "AIT-5 #1" backup set, then transfer "AIT-3 #2" to "AIT-5 #1" backup set, repeat as desired until "AIT-5" backup set fills.

Or does it need that specific catalog to each tape?

No, that's why I pointed out you are creating a new backup set rather than duplicating tapes.

Also, can i just daisy chain the two drives?

You can but it will greatly decrease performance and reduce tape capacity on the destination because only one drive can be active at a time on the SCSI chain; "backhitching" as the destination drive becomes starved for data will cause it to back up repeatably to get a running start again, and some drives will lengthen the inter-block gap in an attempt to increase performance (with a resulting decrease in tape capacity due to the larger space between blocks).

Do i need to do anything special to them?

Well, they should have different SCSI IDs if on the same SCSI chain, and I wouldn't suggest immersing them in water.

Russ