One of my clients just started getting a -116 error (unknown). Any idea what the issue could be? Log files for both server and client don't help at all.

All other backups work fine and I cant get this working at all. I have tried to delete the client and re-add it. I reinstalled the client s/ware. Added firewall rules. I recreated the script and used a different backup destination. Nothing works...

Thanks!!

Retro Client 6.1.130

XServe 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Xeon

OS X 10.4.8 Server

Retro Server 6.1.126

iMac G5 1.9 Ghz

OS X 10.4.11

Edited by Guest
  • Like 8

Any idea what the issue could be?

-116 is a memory storage allocator error:

-116 	memSCErr 	Size Check failed

I note that you are running Retrospect client on an Intel machine running MacOS 10.4.x Server. Remember, Retrospect (and client) currently run as emulated PPC code under Rosetta (rumors of a Universal Binary client to be released "real soon now"). How much memory do you have on that machine? Need gobs. How many files on that machine to be scanned? Need gobs of memory. See if the situation changes if you define and back up a Retrospect subvolume on that machine (that would reduce memory requirements).

Russ

Yea.. Memory isnt an issue. 16GB total RAM on the xServe. :)

Also works fine on 4 MacBook Pros - Intel with 2-4 GB of ram

and it has worked before. It just stopped recently.

The one folder on the drive does have a lot of files on it. 35,000 to be exact, but only 3.7 GB of data. (It's part of our web server). I'm not if that could be the issue or not. Unfortunately, there's no way to split it up at all.

Memory isnt an issue. 16GB total RAM on the xServe

Actually, this isn't true. Retrospect is a 32 bit application and can only address 2 GB of RAM. We have had reported problems from users in very high memory configurations. Can you backup with only 3 GB of RAM in the backup computer or with Retrospect running on a different computer?

getting a -116 error (unknown). Any idea what the issue could be? Log files for both server and client don't help at all.

Actually your log may provide important clues we don't yet have. Can you provide the EXACT text that appears in the log for the entire error? Retrospect will tell us exactly what it is doing when the failure happens. Copy and paste that log section into the reply.

getting a -116 error (unknown). Any idea what the issue could be? Log files for both server and client don't help at all.

Actually your log may provide important clues we don't yet have. Can you provide the EXACT text that appears in the log for the entire error? Retrospect will tell us exactly what it is doing when the failure happens. Copy and paste that log section into the reply.

Retrospect version 6.1.138

Launched at 3/14/2008 7:41 AM

Retrospect Driver update, Version 6.1.13.101

Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error -117 (unknown)

It scans and always stops at around 37,000 folders (I missed how many files).. Hope this helps!

The error you list is different from the original error. Are you getting both?

We now know that Retrospect is specifically failing during the scan. The error being reported is coming from the Finder and my guess is Retrospect is hitting something bad on the disk.

In Retrospect, go to Special. Hold down the Options Key on the keyboard and click Preferences. Then turn on File System Logging. Try the backup again, maybe we will get a better error.

We now know that Retrospect is specifically failing during the scan. The error being reported is coming from the Finder and my guess is Retrospect is hitting something bad on the disk.

In Retrospect, go to Special. Hold down the Options Key on the keyboard and click Preferences. Then turn on File System Logging. Try the backup again, maybe we will get a better error.

UGGHH.. Sorry. I'm getting a Human Error -2256 (typo)

The correct error is -116.. NOT -117

I am running user back ups right now but will do this as soon as they are done. Am I doing this on the Retro server or client? I assume server, but wanted to double check.

Which log should I be looking in? Retrospect log is still reporting the same thing after enabling file system logging... but this was interesting. I went to copy one line of text from the log and I got a memory full error. Looking at activity monitor, there was 1 GB RAM free on the machine.

I restarted the machine and ran the script again. Gave the -116 error at 37,000 folders 14,000 files. Also Retrospect hit 30 MB RAM (243 virtual memory).. still listed as 1GB free on the machine. But I was able to copy text this time...

So this is def a RAM issue. Cant handle that many files/folders or something would be my guess. Why it's not using anything above 30 MB of RAM is beyond me...

Retrospect should be using more RAM. The error you are getting is still coming from the Mac OS and isn't normal for Retrospect in a low memory situation.

Have you run a disk check on the drive that you are trying to back up?

Any errors in the console logs when the backup tries to run?

What happens if you try to back other disks with a high number of files/folders?

Retrospect should be using more RAM. The error you are getting is still coming from the Mac OS and isn't normal for Retrospect in a low memory situation.

Have you run a disk check on the drive that you are trying to back up?

Any errors in the console logs when the backup tries to run?

What happens if you try to back other disks with a high number of files/folders?

I haven't run a disk check, but I copied the folder to another drive on the same computer and still got the same error.

No errors in the console at all pertaining to / or that corresponds with the backup

I haven't tried to copy the files to another computer. I have another server at the same site so i'm going to try that now. its 30GB or data so it's gonna take some time.. :(

Edited by Guest

Sorry, Dave.

I copied the files that give me the -116 error to a separate computer and still got the same error. So i think it must be the retrospect server giving me the error.

I am going to try to run the backup from a different machine to see if it's an error on the server. I'm all out of ideas...

• 7 years later...

I'm running into this same problem.  This seemed like a promising troubleshooting step, so i tried it.  Turns out, there's no new information in the Retrospect log -- just the same "Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error -116 (unknown)" error.

I'm running into this same problem.  This seemed like a promising troubleshooting step, so i tried it.  Turns out, there's no new information in the Retrospect log -- just the same "Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error -116 (unknown)" error.

First, my troubleshooting technique was to use Retrospect to browse the volume that was causing this problem to confirm that I could reproduce the error.  I then created a subvolume for every folder in that volume and used browse on each to find which of those was causing the problem.  Repeat until you find the culprit.

I did not track this down to an individual file.  I did, however, track it as far as this path:

/Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage/2008/<username>/Attachments

This user has a VERY large Entourage database, and recently we rebuilt the search options for Entourage.  Clicking the "Include attachments…" caused Entourage to make a copy of every attachment in the path above.  That "Attachments" folder had 45,000+ folders in it.  And, unfortunately for everyone, I wasn't planning to create and test 45,000+ subvolumes.  I've turned off "Include attachments…", and now that folder is gone.  And now, Retrospect can scan this volume for backups again.