Error 102 with External FW device

Hi there

Am running Retrospect server 6.1.138 on a G4 933 MHz PPC mac with 10.3.9 OSX Server, 1.25 Gb SDRAM

Bored of having to do back up to multiple tapes I purchased a Porsche 720Gb external HardDrive FW/USB2

Managed to plug in the drive and it mounts OK on the Desktop of the Retrospect machine.

Configure Retrospect to do the back up to the External HD.

When I try to run a back up I get Error 102 (communication error) when attempting to erase and rename the drive. Then the disk unmounts and the backup fails. I've tried renaming the drive with the correct storage set name so that it doesn't have to rename etc

Tried different FW cable, different FW port, still same result. Tried doing a manual erase of the HD from Retrospect Devices window as well, which seemed to work, but it fails as soon as the back up tries to run.

From this forum I see that the 102 error can be something to do with a 2Gb limit, but this won't apply to this OS/HD configuration, I'm presuming.

When I plug my Tape drive back in and run the back up from that it works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Have you confirmed that your destination drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended? You might try reformatting the disk using Disk Utility before performing your erase in Retrospect.

Is this the only device on the FW chain? Do you get the same problem if you connect via USB?

While it may not be relevant here, we and a number of other users have experienced problems with these larger LaCie FW drive assemblies, though in our case the drive would generate multiple 206 errors.

Also, unless you're wanting to be able to span multiple volumes in your backup set, I'd recommend that you consider using a File Backup Set instead of a Removable Disk set. We've experienced various forms of flaky behavior with Removable Disk backup sets, perhaps because that option was kind of a kludgy afterthought in the Mac version of Retrospect.

Hi there 'twickland'

Thanks for your advice. I reformatted the drive using Disk Utils as you recommended - first of all it wouldn't let me reformat as just Mac OS Extended but it did let me reformat as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) so I did do that. Then I also set the back up to be File rather than Removable disk and it seems to be working! Thanks for the advice. I obviously don't know which of those two options solved the problem though. However, I've got a second External drive to do alternate days backups so will let you know what works!

T Didn't realise that Removable Disk set was flaky though - I've been using it elsewhere no problems.

And on the File Backup Set: Is it right that the catalog and the backup data are kept on the same drive (that's what seems to be happening)? Are there any disadvantages with this? Do you routinely then back up the catalog elsewhere?

Thanks again...

Best

Didn't realise that Removable Disk set was flaky though - I've been using it elsewhere no problems.

We and others have found odd or buggy behavior under certain circumstances. In our particular setup, we were having problems where Backup Server scripts would lose track of the Removable Disk backup set, or would hang until the destination drive containing the Removable Disk backup set was powered off and on again. Changing to a File backup set on the same hardware eliminated this behavior. While not definitive proof, it was suggestive enough to us that we stopped using Removable Disk backup sets, as we did not need the ability to span across multiple volumes.

And on the File Backup Set: Is it right that the catalog and the backup data are kept on the same drive (that's what seems to be happening)? Are there any disadvantages with this? Do you routinely then back up the catalog elsewhere?
Yes, the catalog portion needs to reside in the same folder as the data portion. We do back up the catalog portion to reduce the time needed to repair the catalog should that ever be needed.