-error 43 Backup set A (B, C, D....) file not found

I am using 6.1.126 on a Macbook, OSx 10.4.11 with a Maxtor 300 GB external drive connected via firewire 400. I have scripts setup to run backups; both using easyscript and Maxtor one touch. The scripts are set up to automate either my entire Mac hard drive or my "local desktop container". These were setup with telephone assistance from a rep at Dantz. I also have a duplicate files script set up that works fine.

Whenever the scripts run, or if I execute an immediate backup, I am asked where the Backup set A (B, C, D, etc) are located. I cannot find them anywhere on my Mac or the Maxtor using spotlight or finder. I have tried to go into configure: backup sets: and select the existing set, only to be asked "where is the catalog file for Backup Set B.cat?"

I have read the other posts on this subject (going back 6 months or so) and have looked at volumes, where I can see the maxtor, but it is not visible when executing the backup. I'm very confused.

How did this work the first time and never work again? Where are my catalog files? How do I set it up to store the backup data on the external Maxtor and the catalog file on my mac hard drive?

Any help is appreciated.

Tammy

I use Retrospect 6.1.126 and am backing up to a LaCie 500gb external hard drive. The only way this would work for me was to create a script that backed up to a "file" instead of "use hard drives as removable disks". The file is stored on the external hard drive and the catalog file must be stored there also. I backup a duplicate of this catalog file to another computer on the network just in case something happens to the catalog on the external hard drive. You can create a Script to do this. This isn't perfect because one time the catalog file I duplicated was just as corrupted as the one on the external. In that case I just rebuilt the catalog file but it took over 18 hours to do that.

Quote:

only to be asked "where is the catalog file for Backup Set B.cat?"

Sounds like you are already using file backup sets but the .cat file has been moved, deleted or is corrupted. Do you see his file on your backup drive?

You have 2 choices. Create a new backup set and us it as the destination or try to repair the file backup set from the tools menu.

First off, thank you for responding to my question.

"Sounds like you are already using file backup sets but the .cat file has been moved, deleted or is corrupted. Do you see his file on your backup drive?"

No, I couldn't find it on either drive using finder and spotlight to search for .cat files.

"You have 2 choices. Create a new backup set and us it as the destination or try to repair the file backup set from the tools menu."

I attempted to create a new backup set yesterday and got through most of the backup process, but then I was asked for a destination drive and the only one found was my CD/DVD drive. I followed the tutorials through volumes to identify the Maxtor and started the backup again, but this time the Maxtor came up underneath "removable disk (content unrecognized)" , and once I selected "Proceed" I was asked if I REALLY wanted to ERASE . I wasn't sure if that was correct so I cancelled. Should I allow it to erase? I followed the next prompt to Configure>Preferences>Media Erasure but still wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do. I have all my duplicates stored on this drive too... Will I have to erase it every time I backup?

I didn't want to risk erasing the wrong drive and accidentally erasing my mac hard drive...

Again, thanks for your help.

Tammy