moved to OS-X from OS-9

I have a version 5 package that has been backing up several MACs via a MAC on OS-9. I've moved the software to a newer MAC running OS-X. The installation seems to be OK, as it can see the computers I want to back up, but before I really set anything up, was wondering how to get it to work off of the DAT Directory I copied from the old computer to this one. I put it in the Retrospect file. I was hoping I wouldn't have to start an all new back-up.

Thanks.

Quote:

was wondering how to get it to work off of the DAT Directory I copied from the old computer to this one. I put it in the Retrospect file.

Unclear what you are asking or what you have done. If what you are saying is that you copied the folder (directory) containing all of the backup catalog files (which have the same names as your various backup sets, those catalogs will still be readable as will your old DAT tapes.

You don't provide information as to what version of OS X you are running, whether you are simply (and unwisely) trying to install the same Retrospect 5.x on OS X or whether you are installing Retrospect 6.1 on OS X, etc. If you are running OS X, and certainly if you are running Mac OS 10.4.x, you need to be running Retrospect 6.1 to get the OS X information backed up. Retrospect 5.x is not sufficient and will miss a lot of metadata, etc.

Also, you need to take note of this information in the release notes for Retrospect 6.1:

Quote:

Older Backup Sets:
Starting with Retrospect 6.0, the format that Retrospect uses for backup sets' catalog files was changed to support some new features. Users upgrading from a version of Retrospect earlier than 6.0 will need to create new backup sets in order to back up data. The new backup sets will not be recognized with previous versions of Retrospect. Older backup sets will be treated as read-only. While users will not be able to append to pre-existing backup sets, they will be able to restore data from them, and will be able to recreate the older backup sets' catalog files from their media if necessary.

Here's a link to the Retrospect 6.1 release notes:

Retrospect 6.1 release notes

I strongly suggest, if you are going to be running Retrospect on Mac OS X, that you upgrade to Retrospect 6.1 and also that you read the release notes.

Russ

Guess I wasn’t real clear about what I’ve already done – am trying to do.

I installed Retrospect version 5.1.175, for OS-X and copied the file “DAT Directory” into the Retrospect file of the “new” computer (from the Retrospect file of the old computer running on OS-9). I thought Retrospect would pick up everything it needed from the files in the DAT Directory, but instead, I found it seemed to want me to reconnect to the computers I back up and go through a complete new script set-up. I was hoping it would just be able to continue the “normal” back-up on the two tapes I’ve been alternating on recently, but it appears “full” back-up will be needed.

The “new” computer I’m using for back-up is a PowerMac G4, 400 running on OS 10.3.9. It is backing up four MACs running OS 10.4.9 (two are new Intel G5s), and one MAC still on OS-9. The computer I’m running back-up on is one that has been “retired” from daily use and is dedicated for back-up only. I back-up to a Quantum Dat-72 tape drive that is about a year old.

I am not backing up everything on every computer – only each person’s work files and select files containing unique data that would help get them running and back-to-normal quicker if their hard drive crashed and lost everything. (After a total crash, I’d rather start with a fresh operating system and freshly-installed software.) Fortunately, for the 12 or so years I’ve been doing the back-up for this department, the only things I’ve had to restore are files a user trashes from their computer in error, then they ask, “can I get it from back-up?”

I don’t know what metadata is, if I’m even backing any of it up. Guess I’d better look into upgrading to 6.1, though.

Thanks.

Ginny

Quote:

It is backing up four MACs running OS 10.4.9 (two are new Intel G5s)

It's the backup of these client computers that will be the problem unless you upgrade to Retrospect 6.1. You may also benefit from the more recent Retrospect 6.x RDU (driver updates) for support of newer devices.

Russ

Thanks . . .

I bought the upgrade directly from EMC, downloaded it, got it installed, and after about 4 attempts, got a successful backup started. (Retrospect is just not a very intuitive program - guess no back-up program is, and I wanted to salvage everything I could off of the old set-up. Unfortunately, I had to set the old computer up again to accomplish - copy - everything!) Didn't want to "do battle" and take the time to do two "full" backups on a program that is potentially too old to ultimately work right.

Happy weekend everyone!!!

Ginny