Breece Hill Q47 Library not recognized

According to the info found at http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=7537 Macintosh-based Retrospect works with a Breece Hill Q47 Library. However, I cannot get Retrospect to recognize it. I'm using version 5.1 Workstation on OS X. Please let me know what I need in order for this to work. FWIW, I can hook up the drives from the library individually with no problem.

Hi

I would start trying different SCSI ID combinations - loader and drive 3 IDS apart drive at 0 and loader at 5...

You can also option click the preferences button to turn on Retrospect SCSI logging. That can give you some ideas about what IDs retrospect is seeing or not seeing.

Any chance you can verify the hardware works on an OS9 machine?

Nate

Have a similar setup Q47 & Adaptec 39160 with OSX Server, check this out, Installed Retro Server 5.1 with X and Retro can see both the DLT drive and the loader SCSI ID's, but does not recognize the tapelibrary as having a loader. In desparation installed same 5.1 Retro Server on OS9, same problem, does not recognize q47 as beeing a loader. Installed older version of Retro 4.1 on OS9, and voila Retro 4.1 will recognize Q47 as a tapelibrary. Called Dantz tech and he says 5.1 does not recognize Q47 as a valid tapelibrary. They will need to change a string or a value in some of their programming. Waiting to see what happens. As far as the OS X not even seeing the SCSi ID's, you must have all SCSi devices turned on before you power up the Mac that has the SCSI card. If you make the mistake of powering off the external SCSI devices any time after power up the SCSI devices in most cases will not show up on the bus. My two cents ......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well here is the latest update for any of those people wanting to use breece hill Q47 or I guess Q2. The Library has to be on SCSi ID 5 and The Tape Mech at SCSi ID 2, or Dantz tech also suggests to switch them if this does not work. After doing this Retrospect will recognize the library and change the "Eject" Button to "Loader" Button. Oh, and by the way, even though Retrospect does not use the barcode labels, if you dont use the barcodes, retrospect will treat the slots that have tapes as empty.

• 2 weeks later...