Dear forum members

Retrospect don't want to start up a second time after restarting the computer and give

instead analert box with the following messagecode back

Can't open the operations log, error -48 (duplicate name).

Its is already open in another application

Clicking on quit button in the alert panel quits Retrospect 5. I installed the last updates but that doesn't seems to help. The only way I can solve this problem is to restart. I was also playing a little bit around with several files in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, but I didn't find the culprit. Is there somebody else with the same problem. I suspect a stanger interaction with FaxSTF 10.08.

Robert

Dear Forum members

I am using MacOSX 10.2.4 and the latest version of Retrospect 5.0.238. A new clean install is only on tome helpful and then the problem with error 48 starts again. Can somebody give a good description of this erro code. On the Dantz site support I can find nothing back.

Maybe we have the start a new treath with error codes and/or bugs.

Robert

-48 errors indicate the file cannot be created because a file with the same name already exists. This error is being generated by the Operating System. Retrospect is not detecting the Operations Log, tries to recreate the file - but a file with the same name already exists in that location.

Something in your system is changing and/or corrupting the log file in such a way as to be no longer recognizable to the program. As a result, Retrospect is attempting to recreate the file.

- Check your system with a disk utility to look for system problems

- Uninstall Retrospect, create a new user, log in as new user and install Retrospect -- do the problems go away?

Amy,

A clean install under a new user don't give error -48. I am not surprised by that of course.I tested that already before. ANyway that give me an idea tov solve the problem. Does Retrospect run unattendant when a user has not been logged in.

Can you tell me exactly what kind of log files Retrospect 5 generates and where Retrospect put them in the system. This also can help me to solve the problem a lttte bit quicker.

Amy,

I did some more study and it seems that quiting Retrospect generates a small file RetroRun in /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun

Using the terminal and executing top give me the following result:

1469 System Pre 0.0% 0:02.39 1 72 410 2.68M 12.1M 7.23M 55.6M

1468 RetroRun 0.6% 0:00.03 1 10 25 260K 1.75M 188K 15.1M

1459 fix_prebin 0.0% 0:00.15 1 17 22 264K 644K 1012K 14.1M

1442 Safari 0.0% 0:05.92 4 108 489 7.54M 18.5M 15.9M 76.8M

1429 tcsh 0.0% 0:00.04 1 10 16 348K 596K 788K 5.73M

1428 login 0.0% 0:00.89 1 12 33 248K 384K 572K 13.7M

1411 top 16.3% 1:21.26 1 14 18 304K 332K 392K 13.6M

1366 tcsh 0.0% 0:00.14 1 10 15 344K 596K 796K 5.73M

sudo kill 1469 quit RetroRun process and I was able to start Retrospect again.

I also delete the RetroRun file with owner root by excecuting

sudo rm -R /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun

Next time however after starting up and quiting Retrospect generates the same file again and give me again erro -48.

What cause Retrospect generating this RetroRun file in /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/

and what document/logfile it is probably sharing with Retrospect 5 itself?

It seems to me that this is some strange kind of retrospect bug.

What cause Retrospect generating this RetroRun file in /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/

RetroRun is the process that autolaunches Retrospect for unattended executions. If you throw away the RetroRun folder, a fresh copy will be recreated the next time you launch Retrospect.

and what document/logfile it is probably sharing with Retrospect 5 itself?

No other programs would have any need to access the Retrospect log.

It seems to me that this is some strange kind of retrospect bug.

There have been no other reports of this issue in 5.0, and the problem does not occur in another user account on the same computer. This would indicate corruption in the user account, not a problem with the program.