Grooming vs Recycling

I went to try and restore a file today that was several months old only to find out that even though it was listed in my catalog/snapshot, the actual backup set which contains the file had been deleted.

I think i'm confused regarding what Grooming and Recycling do for my backup jobs. Can someone please shed some light on this so I dont lose anymore files

Tony

When you do a Recycle, the ENTIRE backup Set and catalog file will be erased as if you have never done a backup before. The catalog/snapshot will have no memory of any prior backups.

Grooming will remove the oldest unique files based on your grooming policy. If a file is removed, it will NOT be listed in the catalog file/snapshot.

If you can see a file within Retrospect, then you should be able to restore it. You may want to offer more details about the failed restore.

Have you tried a catalog rebuild and then a restore?

This is the process I used to restore the file....

I click on Restore >> Select my Backup Set >> Choose the latest snapshot from last week>> Select a location to restore to>>Select the one file I need to restore

When I click Start it brings up a window that says "Please select the Backup Set Member: Name: Department Shares on RAID-5, if disk is unavailable click Choices. When I click choices and try to browse to the file it is asking for "AA000042.rdb I can see that the latest file I have is "AA000120.rdb".

So it seems like the backup set it is requesting has been deleted somehow. If I choose my oldest backup set it prompts me "This file is beyond the one asked for, do you want to mark all files up to this file as missing?". I click OK and then it fails. I've done this 3 times so it doesnt seem to mark anything.

I did a repair catalog from disk and when I select All disks for this particular backup set it definitely tells me that im missing data files from the backup set. It is missing AA000000 through AA000119.rdp. My list of backup sets starts at AA000120.rdb. Could these have been groomed out?