strange subject line for automated success/failure notices

jwright

Text based e-mail readers can't decode the subject line in the automated messages coming from our server. We see this:

(from the message source)

"Subject:=?utf-8?B?UmV0cm9zcGVjdCBub3RpZmljYXRpb24gZnJvbSBDQVNURUxMQU4gKDExLzYvMjAwNyk=?="

Thunderbird is able to turn this into meaningful text ("Retrospect notification from SERVERNAME(11/6/07)"), but text-based mail readers like Pine are unable to deal with it. Suggestions on how to fix? I have looked at all of the setting under Preferences --> Notifications --> E-mail, and don't see anything that could be causing this. Half of our sysadmins use text-based readers, so this is a problem.

Thanks.

Jeff

I found the following item in the Product Read Me:

Corrupted subject lines in e-mail notifications: Retrospect now uses UTF-8 encoding for the subject line in e-mail notifications. Previously, it used UTF-7, which caused the text to display incorrectly in certain e-mail clients (for example, Gmail and Eudora).

Sounds like your email utility is does support UTF-8. Retrospect must use UTF-8, it can't be changed.