W95 client problems with server 7.5

marchem

Sorry for the cross post (also in Server forum). I'm hoping someone in the Client forum may have some ideas.

I'm having problems with my W95 clients now that I upgraded to Server 7.5. When I install the 7.5.116 client software on a W95 machine I get an error message after reboot: ""The RETROCLIENT.EXE file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:SetNamedSecurityInfoW.".

If I uninstall the 7.5.116 client and install either the 5.6 or 6.0 client I am able to add the W95 client to the server, but when I "refresh" the client at the server I get the error "Client speed test failed, error -540 (trouble creating service)." I have seen that this can be caused by a missing Winsock 2.0, but the W95 client does have Winsock 2.0 installed.

If I uninstall the 5.6 or 6.0 client and install the 6.5 client it tells me when I enter the client password (during the install) "The password you entered must be at least 4 characters in length". it says this no matter what I enter for a password.

So at this point I am unable to install a client on my W95 machines that will work with Server 7.5. I would downgrade to Server 6.5 (which worked fine before), except I need Vista support. I can't dump W95 because I have several analytical instruments that won't run on anything newer.

Thanks Rob