Weekly backup strategy

Hallo together,

I´ve posted this already in the "Desktop, Workgroup and Server fort Mac OS X" forum so sorry for crossposting I haven´t read mindful enough

Is there anybody who can help me to solve the described problem.

First my enviroment:

I´ve got 3 Macintosh Clients Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4 and one

Macintosh where Retrospect (the second last version) run and all the backups are stored.

My backup-plan

Every Monday at 7:00 pm should start a full backup of Macintosh-Client 1 into the backup-set named client1-week1.

After this has ended (9:45 pm), the Macintosh-Client 2 should start a full backup into the backup-set named client2-week1.

After this the last full backup should start (1:15 am) from the 3rd Macintosh Client into the backup-set named client3-week1.

From Thuesday until Friday should start a incrementell backup into the corresponding backup-sets.

The next Monday at 7:00 pm should start a full backup of Macintosh-Client 1 into the backup-set named client1-week2.

After this has ended (9:45 pm), the Macintosh-Client 2 should start a full backup into the backup-set named client2-week2.

After this the last full backup should start (1:15 am) from the 3rd Macintosh Client into the backup-set named client3-week2.

From Thuesday until Friday should start a incrementell backup into the corresponding backup-sets.

And so on....

That means every Client got for every week his own backup-set. It´s clear that this is not a real backup, its a mix between backup and archive.

I know that incrementell backup means in the terminology of Retrospect a normal backup.

One of my problems is that this backup cycle goes from Monday till Monday next week and not as I assume from Monday till Friday. Its also not only one week as I selected in the according pulldown menue, its around 3 months?!

How can I realise this, how can I do it, is there any chance?

May be anyone can send me screenshots, descriptions, or the corresponding files.

Hope you understand my problem and my bad english.

Thanks for help, with best regards from germany

Peter

• 1 month later...

My brain hurts from trying to think about all these backup sets. Have you ever tried seperating your Archiving and Normal Backups? I do a daily backup of all computers on my network to a single backup set. It's incremental and we are a small company so most days there aren't large chunks of data to backup. I also have a redundant strategy to backup weekly to a DLT tape drive. I have 3 sets of Tapes corresponding to 3 backup sets A, B and C. Each set is rotates every 3 weeks. I Archive onto both DVD-Rs and to DLT tapes. Once again, redundancy is the word. This works for me but like I said we are a small company. Maybe you are backing up more client servers than I am and you need something different.

Paul