Controlling size of Backup Server sets

Hello!

I am running a backup server script to back up several laptops in my home. I haven't been able to figure out the best way to control the size of the resultant set. As the backup server always does a normal backup, it seems to me that the set size will keep on increasing. I am backing up to a file set.

I don't want to have to start from scratch (a full backup) when the set gets too big for the external hard drive that it lives on. Is there any way to set a rentention policy or prune backups using Retrospect 6.1.126? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Quote:

As the backup server always does a normal backup, it seems to me that the set size will keep on increasing. I am backing up to a file set.

You are correct. That's the way backups work. Under the hood, "incremental" backups are being done, but Retrospect stores additional data so that you are given the "snapshot" paradigm that helps greatly to ease the pain of restore.

Quote:

I don't want to have to start from scratch (a full backup) when the set gets too big for the external hard drive that it lives on. Is there any way to set a rentention policy or prune backups using Retrospect 6.1.126?

Sadly, no. Your only choice is a "recycle" backup, which starts from ground zero. The Windows version of Retrospect, for a long time, has had "grooming" whereby you can set a retention policy to retain files necessary to restore only a specified past number of snapshots. Other than minor tweaks, the Macintosh version has not been significantly changed in over two years. A minor tweak has been announced for some unspecified date past the end of this month to provide compatibility with Leopard (Mac OS 10.5), but no real changes are expected. Development seems to have stopped years ago on the Mac version of Retrospect. Most, if not almost all, of the people have left or have been laid off. EMC refuses (or is not able) to release a product roadmap, and will not discuss future product plans.

You might turn in a "feature request" to have the "grooming" feature brought to the Mac version of Retrospect, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Russ