Tape Duplication for Off Site Storage?

Running 7.5.13.100 on a Windows 2003 SBS Server attached to a Quantum Superloader with LTO-3 drive.

Ideally I would like to duplicate the contents of my current tape set and send it offsite, but still leave the original tapes in the library. I tried the duplicate function, but got an error that I need two drives.

I would like to have Retrospect use the available disk space to stage a portion of the backup (read X GB from original tape then swap tape then write X GB to new swap tapes then read X GB etc.). Otherwise it looks like my options might be to use some tape duplication software (novastor.com) or get a second LTO-3 drive to duplicate my tapes for offsite storage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Charley

Only suggestion that I can think of would be to use the "Transfer" function to transfer a tape backup set to disk, then "transfer" from the disk to tape. But that would require a staging disk that is big enough to hold the entire tape backup set. Or, like you indicate, get a second drive and transfer from one tape backup set directly to the other tape backup set using Retrospect.

Russ

I was thinking of something a little more automatic and that wouldn't require the full 800GB (or more depending on compression I suppose) on local disk. What would be great would be to allocate temp storage of 100GB and then have it read it in 100GB chunks and then write back to tape.

Charley

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the suggestion - maybe the powers that be will look at this as something to include in a future version. Unless I can get a cheap tape drive, I will probably look into software for duplicating the backup tapes.

Does anyone have any experience with Tape Copy from Novastor or have any other recommendations?

Charley