Can't Add Backup Client... error -560

jtoddv

I just upgraded my two home machines. I got two brand new Dells... my desktop (which runs Retropsect) and my wife's desktop (client 1). Both are running Vista Business Ed. I also have a Sony Vaio Laptop (client 2). I have been backing up the laptop and wife's old machine just fine for over two years without issue.

Since the upgraded machines have been installed, I can run backups on laptop (client 2) just fine. However, whenever I try to add my wife's machine (client 1) as a backup client, I receive this error:

Sorry, couldn't add backup client, error -560 (invalid private/public key).

So here are the things I have done to try and rectify this error:

Quadruple checked the firewall - 497 UDP/TCP open on both machines.

Licenses - 1 used, 1 available

Reinstalled client on wife's new machine 3 times.

What am I missing to get my wife's new machine to become a client. Why is this error still occurring?

Please help!

jtoddv

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello,

I am running into this exact error (Retrospect 7.6). Server is WinXP and I have three Vista clients all throwing the same error -560 private/public key. I've tried re-installing the client multiple times, using both the Setup.exe and the MSI script.

Anyone have any clues?

[EDIT] FYI: I am running Retrospect Single Server, I know this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure if it warranted a new post in another forum.

Edited by Guest

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know Windows 7 is not supported; however, the RC being released by Microsoft, we are trying it out in our environment.

I get this private/public key error when I try to add the client. We've also tried uninstalling the software and then installing it again.

Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

I've managed to get past this, FINALLY. Keep in mind I went for the shotgun approach here after trying the usual suspects and getting frustrated. Here's what I did:

Uninstalled Retrospect Client

Deleted Retrospect folder from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data because evidently uninstalling left it behind

Deleted as many registry keys with the word "Retrospect" in it that I was allowed to

Restarted the computer

Disconnected all network drives

Changed the computer name and rejoined the domain

Restarted again

Installed Retrospect Client, using a DIFFERENT password

THIS worked :D Sorry I'm not narrowing down which step really fixed it, I'll leave that to Retrospect folks. :teeth:

Edit: This is with Windows XP Pro as client machine, 7.6.107 client, Server is 2003 Small Business running Retrospect 7.6 (not SMB)

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

Confirmed the methodology of colin415, with slightly fewer steps. ;)

Retrospect Single Server 7.7.325, hotfix/update 7.7.2.100. Clients are Windows XP Pro (32-bit) SP3, Retrospect Client 7.7.106.

- Removed Retrospect Client entry from Windows Firewall exception list.

- Uninstalled Retrospect Client. Reboot.

- Deleted the Retrospect folder in Program Files, including all contents.

- Searched the registry for "Retrospect" entries and deleted the ones that made sense. (There is one that is a subfolder of "Dantz" so I deleted both, and I ignored any that did not directly refer to the Retrospect Client.) Reboot.

- Installed the Retrospect Client normally again. Reboot again if so inclined.

- Deleted/Forgot the Backup Client entry on the server. Added the Backup Client normally again.

So far so good. Some of the clients did not respond well to an in-place update of the client from 7.6 to 7.7 (we upgraded our server license from 7.6 to 7.7 via an entirely new physical server - avoided server upgrade problems). Error -560 was the most annoying. After wrestling with a few clients using colin415's method, which fixed them completely, we decided to take the time to do this to every single Windows-based client. It has cleared up quite a few quirks of the others, as well.

Backups are all happy again!