Newbie with Mac and Retrospect needs Help. Which Method?

Quote:

Which method can I use?

What choices are you giving us?

Quote:

Is Duplicate the only one?

If you want other computers to be able to use the files without going through Retrospect, yes, a Retrospect "duplicate" is one way to move files from one computer to another, leaving them as accessible files on the destination. But, if this is your only goal, Retrospect may not be your best choice. Have you considered things like rsync, SuperDuper!, etc.?

Retrospect's strength is in making backups and in doing restores from those backups. You haven't given any indication that this is the problem you are trying to solve, only that you are trying to copy files from one place to another. Retrospect is not the best tool to solve that problem.

Quote:

Of course, I also want to save all the preferences with the mac.

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

Quote:

What is it important for a Mac?

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

Quote:

Which method do I use?

Please see my original answer.

Philippe, I'm trying hard to understand exactly what it is you are trying to do. Please try to explain a little better. I'm having a hard time understanding you.

If all you are trying to do is to copy some files to a network drive for other computers to access, well, Retrospect can probably be set up to do that (by "duplicate"), but might not be the best tool for that job.

If, instead, you are trying to create backups, then Retrospect might be a good tool for that job.

As for explaining how to use programs other than Retrospect, well, a Retrospect forum is not the right place to ask that question. I suggest you read the manual(s) for the other programs.

Russ

Phillippe,

You can make two backups. Do a "Duplicate" and you will find that it is readable as it is on your Mac desktop.

Also do a "Backup". That one will not be readable, but Retrospect makes a ciopy of all the invisible files, such as preferences, permissions, extensions, etc. If you ever have the necessity to totally restore a hard drive, this is the one to use for the restore.

Don't forget to backup both frequently.