Retrospect and Client Powerup/down options

Ramon88

We've been using Retrospect for ages (Mac & Windows) and for us it works well. However we keep strugling with the client powerup/down options.

Way back when we used it with (upto) Mac OS 9 clients, it was easy to have the clients to shutdown after a backup 'came along' after working hours. Thus saving electricity for powering the computer and airconditioning. The windows clients and nowadays the OSX clients are equiped with the ´shutdown script´ which works okay, but not perfect/easy enough. We wondered why not such a tool as the 'wait at shutdown'-option we had with the OS9 clients is included these days. Furthermore the provided shutdown script doesn't seem to work with our Vista machines...

Bottom line is, we need a better shutdown option with Retrospect. It can't be that hard to create. It will save a lot of power without a lt of effort, so why is it not included?

Furthermore it would be also far better to have a WOL-option as well (Wake On Lan). Why is it Retrospect can't wake up a shutdown computer? It should be easy to make it send a magic packet to the client and have it wait for a preset time (a couple of minutes would easily do) and then back up a client.

In short: We want Retrospect be able to power-up machines with the magic packet method, back them up and afterwards power them down. This shouldn't be something beyond the realm of possibilities and would help to save (a lot of) power.

Is something like this in the workings? If not, could it be proposed?

In the meantime, could a working shutdown script for Vista be provided?

Kind regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... 12 days and nothing to show for...

Is power efficiency not high on the list of EMC? Please consider power is not cheap in The Netherlands. It is taxed to the limit to force people to think 'green'.

I still would like answers to my question(s)...

Quote:

This is a user-to-user support forum. Any answers from users (like me) about future product development would be mere speculation. You might want to contact EMC. This is not the way to do that.

Thanks for your reply, however I beg to differ. wink.gif This forum is run and visited by EMC-employees as well. They do comment on several topics, so I don't see why this isn't a good medium for them to take in suggestions for their product(s). And of course I'm also open to user suggestions, because there might be something I'm doing wrong or haven't thought of.

Besides that I'm also expressing my opinion it's a bit strange Retrospect doesn't think as 'green' as it could/should, with a little bit of effort. True enough, it won't be a big marketing gimmick, but every little thing helps.

Quote:

Thanks for your reply, however I beg to differ. This forum is run and visited by EMC-employees as well. They do comment on several topics, so I don't see why this isn't a good medium for them to take in suggestions for their product(s). And of course I'm also open to user suggestions, because there might be something I'm doing wrong or haven't thought of.

Whatever; I wasn't trying to argue with you, just trying to lessen your frustration and suggest a more productive avenue to pursue. You might want to re-read the forum welcome note from Robin Mayoff, the head of Retrospect support:

Welcome to the Forum

There is also a forum specifically for product suggestions, and posting there might be more productive than in this forum that is specifically for user-to-user support:

Retrospect Product Suggestions - Windows

Good luck. Your suggestions have merit and might be heard if offered through a proper channel.