Internet backup set: too many files?

ham

I've recently started using Retrospect to back up my PowerBook to my account at bluehost.com. The initial backup took over a week, but the result looked OK (restoring randomly chosen files from the Internet backup set works fine).

In the last few days, however, the Internet backup script has been failing. Retrospect reports

Device trouble: “HR_PB15s”, error 241 (FTP: maximum number of data segments reached).

Retrospect's backup set is composed of a very large number (nearly 2,000) of small (1-2MB) files. Each file is stored in a separate segment, and there's evidently a limit on the number of segments a bluehost account may occupy.

My bluehost account is nowhere near its space limit, which implies that the bluehost server's segment size is much larger than the Retrospect backup set's file size. One solution would be to increase the size of the backup set's files, but I've been unable to find any Retrospect controls to do that.

Any suggestions?

I followed the instructions in #83603, using Rezilla in place of ResEdit. Including the time it took me to get up to speed in Rezilla, the whole operation took about 10 minutes.

I set the segment size to 256 MB. The initial backup is still in progress (3.0 G completed, 35.8 G remaining), but the results look good.

Many thanks to R H Walker!

--Ham