G4 Powerbook CDRW/DVD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with my new PB G4-550. The drive is, according to Apple, Mashita CW-8121. I believe this is the drive that is listed by Dantz as Panasonic CW-8121, which is not qualified.

I also have a new G4-733 desktop which uses the Toshiba SD-R1102 DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive and which is, also, NOT qualified!!

I don't understand how Dantz can put out a product that does not support the drives that are being used by Apple in its latest products.

• 2 weeks later...

>>Does Retrospect 5 support the CD Eject key (4.3 on my Quicksilver doesn't)? <<

No, it does not.

>>> And I don't suppose there's any chance of version 4 getting a driver update to support the G4 PowerBooks' DVD/CDRW drives? <<<

I doubt this. Normally Retrospect Driver Updates are for the latest version of Retrospect.

• 3 months later...

Some users have reported problems with backing up to the internal CD-RW drive in some Apple Powerbooks. The particular drive, the Panasonic (Matshita) 8121 would produce an error 100 when backing up.

We are pleased to announce that this has been fixed with the release of the Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) 2.8.

This free RDU, for use with Retrospect and Retrospect Express 5.0 for Mac only, may be downloaded at:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/rdu28.sit

There is also a link to the updates page from the Dantz homepage, at www.dantz.com.

If you have any further questions, please visit our web support page at:

http://www.dantz.com/support

Newly supported devices in RDU 2.8 for MACINTOSH Retrospect 5.0:

Seagate USB 2.0 Travan 40 (TR-7)

Seagate USB 2.0 Travan (TR-5)

Sony LIB-152E

Sony LIB-302

Sony CRXP-90-MU

Support for WORM media added for Sony SDX-500C (firmware update required)

Download: ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/rdu28.sit

• 3 months later...

Panasonic CW-8121 (Apple) drive

Due to potential dataloss issues with this drive, the minimum supported drive firmware revision is AA21. This firmware revision (or later) is on drives included with the currently shipping PowerBook G4 computers new as of 11/2002. Firmware revision AA21 addresses a serious dataloss defect where used discs will have an "erased" status and drastically

improved performance when used with Retrospect. Dantz is working closely with Apple in regards to availability of the AA21 updater for earlier PowerBook G4 computers.

Archived