compatability

I have a G3 blue & white 350 mhz running Mac OS 9.0.4 w/256 MB Ram and Adaptec 29160 Ultra Wide SCSI controller connected 68pin to 68 pin externaly to an Overland LibraryPro w/ a sony AIT3 tape drive and barcode reader.

I currently have Retrospect 4.3 w/ADK. and receive a "bad backup header found" error.

I am also having problems with Retrospect using the Barcode reader.

If I Upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2 and Retrospect 5.0 will it fix my problems?

Are there any other suggestions?

Bad backup set header errors indicate Retrospect encountered a missing or damaged file header, which contains information such as the file's name and size.

We troubleshoot these as we do any other hardware-related error, by trying to pinpoint the source. The first place to look is the media itself. Try another tape. Does that one give the error as well? Does this error occur on all tapes? If so, move on to other device troubleshooting.

Update SCSI card drivers if this is not the native SCSI bus. Take any other devices off the SCSI chain. Try a backup. Does this work?

Use a cleaning tape to clean the drive's heads.

Try a different cable from the Mac to the tape drive.

Try a different terminator on the back of the drive. If the drive is actively terminated, turn active termination off and put a physical terminator on the back of the drive.

Try the drive on another Mac.

If you still get these errors after trying all these steps, the problem is with your drive. The purpose of this troubleshooting is to pinpoint what variable is causing the errors, and at the end, the only variable left is the drive itself.

Archived