Problems with DVR-112D in Mac Pro, RDU 6.1.11.101

I have been backing up to a spare hard drive since I got my new Mac Pro at work, because its DVR-112D optical drive was not supported by Retrospect Desktop. I was happy to see that support was added for the drive in the latest RDU (6.1.11.101), so I could go back to doing DVD-R backups to carry offsite as I had been with my previous G5; however, I have had limited success. (Retrospect version is 6.1.126, Mac OS X version is 10.4.10, by the way.) With DVD+RW disks I got the "error 100" immediate failure as described in this forum post, and I have had only partial success with DVD-R disks.

When I first tried a DVD-R backup, it failed about halfway through the 8.8 GB of files I was backing up; the logfile shows

Trouble writing: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (0), error 203 (hardware failure).

Additional error information for device "Pioneer DVD DL" [0:0],

Sense > 70 00 04 00 21 42 00 0e 00 00 00 00 44 4b 00 00 00 00

(PIONEER |DVD-RW DVR-112D|AC08)

Catalog out of sync with backup set “DVD-R Backup Set A”.

Select Tools>Repair>Update Existing from the Directory.

I tried again, and the backup proceeded to completion, but with severe slowdowns at several points; when the verification phase started, it also got stuck after awhile, and I had to abort in order to shut my computer down at the end of the day (unfortunate timing -- they were killing power to my building over the weekend). The logfile shows many errors like

File “ppi1.0980826” appears incomplete, path: “Macintosh HD/Users/looper/Documents/old/Public/magnetometers/d0980826/ppi1.0980826”.

Trouble reading: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (1824), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Trouble positioning: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (1824), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

and at the end

Sense > f0 00 03 00 0c f6 a0 0e 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00

The disks had a weird banded appearance to them, with different colors at different radii, sort of what I might expect if they were burned at different speeds at different times (?). I had never seen this with the G5, nor with the DVD-RW backups I've been doing since 2002 on my G4/933 at home.

Today (after the power came back on!) I tried to verify the disks from the previous backup, but it quickly failed, with the logfile showing

Trouble reading: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (1603), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-918"

Sense > f0 00 03 00 0c f6 b0 0e 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00

I then ran a completely new backup, which finished both the writing and verification phases, but with the same slowdowns in both phases and 123 execution errors found at the end. Again the disks had that weird banded appearance, and again the logfile showed many errors like

File “Security.tiff” appears incomplete, path: “Macintosh HD/Users/looper/Documents/computers/OS X transition/AMUG talk/Citrix/Security.tiff”.

Trouble reading: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (831), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Trouble positioning: “1-DVD-R Backup Set A” (831), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

and at the end

Sense > f0 00 03 00 08 eb 40 0e 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00

What gives here? I should mention that (1) I tried writing and erasing a DVD+RW in the drive, which proceeded at speed and with no problems, so I don't think I have a hardware failure, and (2) before each backup attempt above, I told Retrospect to forget the previous backup set (and deleted its catalog from the hard drive), so I was starting fresh each time. Sorry about the egregiously long post; I'm trying to give enough detail so that somebody from EMC can use it to figure out what's going wrong.

Quote:

I should mention that (1) I tried writing and erasing a DVD+RW in the drive, which proceeded at speed and with no problems, so I don't think I have a hardware failure ...

Sorry, I meant to say "writing in the Finder, and erasing with Disk Utility" -- i.e., outside of Retrospect Desktop.

My complements on such a thorough and well-reasoned problem statement. It makes it very easy to see what you have and what you have tried. I can only wish that all posters were as thorough.

I'm not from EMC, just a Retrospect user like you are (except I use tape, not DVD). Sounds to me like the support for your drive in RDU 6.1.11.101 is less than adequate. I'm sure you are aware that Retrospect uses a completely different set of writing commands than does the Finder, to enable CDs and DVDs to be appended. Your test of writing/erasing in the Finder and Disk Utility shows that the heads and communication with your drive is fine, and it's just an issue of Retrospect being able to chat with the drive using the special commands that it uses.

The only additional piece of information that would appear helpful is confirmation that you have NOT tried a manual configuration of your drive, but are relying on the parameters in RDU 6.1.11.101. Way to tell is whether there is a .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect - if there is, then a manual configuration has been done at some point, and it would be interesting to drag that .rdi file to the Desktop (with Retrospect not running), relaunch Retrospect, retry the exercise without the .rdi file being used.

That's the only suggestion that I could make until the support for your drive has been fixed, other than to suggest trying a different drive, which would eliminate everything except the drive.

Interestingly, although the Pioneer DVR-112D is listed in the release notes for RDU 6.1.11.101, it is not to be found in the Retrospect database of supported devices. If I look for all of the Pioneer supported devices, I note some drives (e.g., DVR-117D) have an "Apple version" that is not supported, but have a version that is not marked as "Apple version" that IS supported. Perhaps there is something similar happening here.

Someone at EMC support needs to clarify this in the Retrospect database of supported devices, specifically, whether the Apple version of the DVR-112D, which you seem to have, is a supported device.

Regards, and sorry I couldn't be of help,

Russ

I installed the long-awaited RDU 6.1.11.101 that alleged support for the Pioneer DVR-112D I purchased almost six months ago (the vendor said kindly that EMC was a little slow on keeping up with the hardware, especially in the Mac world).

Alas the RDU did nothing in terms of finally "allowing" me to use the DVR-112D.

The device is listed as a "DVD DL" (whatever the hell that is) with "content unrecognized."

Trying to manually configure the device yields nothing.

Meanwhile, any other application I have associated with DVD/DVD-RW reading/writing works just fine.

It would seem that EMC has pretty much abandoned support for Retrospect for Mac, or it is (to say the least) certainly not on their Top Priority list.

This is frustrating as I've been a faithful Retrospect user for some time. Now none of my "old" storage sets are useable. What's the point of a backup if the application isn't backwards-compatible?

I've just done a significant backup to a DVR-112 (not a DVR-112D) with the RDU 6.1.11.101 and it seems ok to me - it used about 20 DVDs and one of them was reported as having verification errors (as noted above: "drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc."). I kind of presumed that this was just a fluke and a real problem with the media.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that I just tried to verify the media, and this is what happened: The status box started off by saying something like 2.2 million remaining, 202G, and asked for the first disk. It then worked through to having checked four files, and over a period of about 18 hours counted down from 202G to 0T (zero terabytes!?) - but the number of files remaining/completed remained the same (2.2 million/4).

Now it's been sitting there for an hour or more showing the last file it was checking (No.4?) and flipping between that and "Resynchronizing (slow)". It never asked for any further disks but the DVD drive sounds like it is spinning full-on all the time.

I'm just about to quit it and get it to rebuild the catalogue rather than verify the media (since the latter doesn't seem to work). Obviously I'm first going to copy the catalogue!

Oh, and it's definitely right that the read me with the 6.1.11.101 RDU said there was support for the DVR-112D, but that isn't reflected in the Retrospect database of supported devices.

There's definitely something wrong with the description for this device, I've just tried to have it rebuild a catalogue, but stopped it after 18GB and 67 files. Seemed obvious that it isn't possible to have 18GB on one DVD-R (Retrospect hadn't asked for the next disk in the series).

When I look at the snapshot of what was in the backup set (that had started it's re-catalogue) I found multiple copies of identical files - so it looks like Retrospect is scanning the same disk multiple times (explains the verification problems above).

To test that this isn't a problem with Retrospect in general I've used another, supported DVD writer (Panasonic UJ-815), this just started re-catalogging the same disk set, and asked for the next disk after 4.7GB/25 files - so is working as expected (if at a fraction of the speed).

Quote:

My complements on such a thorough and well-reasoned problem statement. ...

Quote:

... The only additional piece of information that would appear helpful is confirmation that you have NOT tried a manual configuration of your drive, but are relying on the parameters in RDU 6.1.11.101.

Thanks, but if I deserved such compliments, maybe I would've remembered that back when I first got the Mac Pro, I did try a manual configuration (June 16th, before the new RDU that claims to support the DVR-112D came out), since I clearly should have mentioned that! Thanks for jogging my memory; unfortunately, after I deleted the .rdi files as you suggested, I still got the same results as before with both DVD-R and DVD+RW attempts.

Might I note that this is the way I wish all forums, blogs, and the like, worked -- an inexperienced user (mdlooper, 3 posts) benefits from the knowledge of an experienced one (rhwalker, 1293 posts), even if we do have to wait for the company to deal with the problem. Too often elsewhere I've seen questions and comments (my own and others') just go into the ether with no response, helpful or even "message received," from anyone! Your "top ten" status is well deserved.