Change a client password

I need to change a password for a Retrospect client running 6.1.130. We're updating equipment and moving around old pieces and I need to set one up for backup. It had Retrospect client running in the past, but currently doesn't and I don't have the old password. I've seen a script that enables an admin to be able to do this, but I've lost it and the link.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

It had Retrospect client running in the past, but currently doesn't and I don't have the old password.

I'm not sure what you mena by "It had Retrospect client running in the past, but currently doesn't," but the easiest way to access an otherwise inaccessable client install is to use the installer to un-install, and then re-install.

The file that holds the password on _current_ installs is at:

/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

BUT that file was installed in a couple of different locations on the very early release versions.

We upgraded our server from an old G4 OSX server to a new XServe and Xraid. When we did so we also completely reinstalled Retrospect rather than just migrate it across. We weren't backing up all the clients in the office at that time so only a couple of them had client software running but most did not. The person that was maintaining the equipment left us with very little info so I'd like to cancel off the old password and re-install one that we can keep track of.

When I install the client it asks for the password and since I don't have it, I can't proceed.

Is that enough information? speechlessgrem1.gif

Quote:

When I install the client it asks for the password and since I don't have it, I can't proceed.

No, the installer asks only for a valid computer admin login and password. It's not asking for the pre-existing Retrospect Client password.

The password for the client software has no relationship with any of the passwords in use by OS X.

Dave

I think I'm explaining it wrong. When I'm in Retrospect and I'm configuring the client for backup, I'll select the "new" computer and Retrospect asks for a log-in, so I can choose volumes, etc. That's the password that I don't have.

I went back to the client machine, tried re-installing the client software, typed in the admin password for the machine and installed the software. On machines that haven't had Retrospect client software on them before when I select the radio button for "on" it asks me to set up a password for Retrospect. On this machine is doesn't ask me to set one up, but when I go back to the server where Retrospect is, the error that I get is "incorrect password". I've tried the one that we set up for all the other machines (15 of them), but it or any variation of it, doesn't work.

Is there a way to reset the password at the client level? I seems like I've seen a script that will allow this, but I can't find it now.

Thanks.

B

Quote:

Uninstall the client software. Reboot the client. Reinstall the client software.

Isn't that the same as I said above:

"the easiest way to access an otherwise inaccessable client install is to use the installer to un-install, and then re-install."??

If I were any cooler, I'd still be frozen, baby!

Yes, there was/is a script here somewhere, but it does basically the same thing as the installer will do.

Dave

Quote:

Found it:

Sure that will work with the EMC icon on the client rather than the Dantz icon on the client? Just kidding.

Note, at the very end of the KB article, that you also have to forget and then re-add the client to the Retrospect Client Database in Retrospect. I suspect that this step, if it had been done after the uninstall/reinstall that the original poster says was done, might have been an alternate way to solve the problem. I believe that the script just eliminates the need to uninstall/reinstall the client.

Russ