ARGGGGHHHH!!!!! All members being deleted from Backup Set....

jerryc

I'm DYING...... I've been thru a number of weeks wherein I've had to rebuild my entire backup sets as I'm apparenently not doing something right. Now I just paid VERY close attention to a tape erase (a reuse of an existing tape) and before my eyes, I saw ALL of the other members of the backup set go byebye.... Now, I'm looking at 10 hors of recreating the entire catalog again.

I use an 8 tape Powervault Autoloader. Tape 8 is a cleaning tape.

I do Incremental backups M-F. So far, each BU is at about tape 10. After I hit tape 10, I erase tape 1 and re-use it.

When I insert the tape to be erased, Retrospect recognises it as a member of a particular backup set. I go to the backup set and select that member and select "Set Missing". Then I erase that tape so that it can be recycled.

As soon as I agree to erase all the data on that tape, my ENTIRE backup set (all 9-10 members) are erased.

The only way to recover is to completely rebuild the entire backup set again.

I realize I'm doing something wrong. PLEASE tell me what that is.

All I want to do is recycle a tape that's already a member of a backup set. Isn't that possible?? If not, I'm looking at an incredible amount of tapes....

If you erase tape #1 of a 10 tape backup set (Erasing of 1-Backup Set A), then all member of the backup set will be removed.

You can not erase any member of a known backup set, otherwise you are going to have an incomplete backup set that will basically be useless for a full restore.

Retrospect assumes that if you force the erase of a tape in a known backup set, that you don't care about any of the other tapes in the set.

If it hurts, "don't do that".

Many thanks. The how do you keep from have so many tapes??

As of now, I have 50 (10 for each of the MTWThF backups). It's an incremental BU script, but it takes 5-6 to make the first BU as I have so much data.

Is "Recycle" what I should be using??

Many thanks

Jerry