Just wants to back up everything all over

Hi Folks,

I did a back up yesterday of my mounted server, my system is OS X and so is the server. Well today I tried backing up to the same backup set and it seems to just want to back up every thing again. (33 Gigs) at this rate maybe I should start buying tapes by the case.

I think its that "Server" vs "desktop" version thing going on. Am I on the right train here.

Another thing If I have to get the "server" version do I have to relog on to my sytem as the "root" again?

Where would be the best place to run this backup from so I can back up both my system and my server? Eventually I'll grow this whole thing to back up two servers and about 10 user systems.

Seems I needed to just bite it and get the server version instead of trying out this desktop version. Can't take the tapes back to 4.3 and OS 9 anyway.

Any input or observations would be nice.

In reply to:

I did a back up yesterday of my mounted server, my system is OS X and so is the server. Well today I tried backing up to the same backup set and it seems to just want to back up every thing again. (33 Gigs) at this rate maybe I should start buying tapes by the case.

This is an Apple bug, as has been noted multiple times on this Forum (see the thread at:

http://www.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=6247&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1 ).

Jaguar, the next major revision to OS X, will hopefully fix the problem.

I think its that "Server" vs "desktop" version thing going on. Am I on the right train here.

If you used the OS X Client software you wouldn't have this problem. You would also perserve all the permissions on the original files, which you do not do when you backup the mounted AFP volume.

Another thing If I have to get the "server" version do I have to relog on to my sytem as the "root" again?

Retrospect never expects you to log in as root. You should leave the root account disabled. There are tech notes on Dantz's server that describe how to backup a mounted AFP volume without logging into the Aqua Finder as root (in fact I think it's in the Retrospect 5.0 ReadMe file).

Where would be the best place to run this backup from so I can back up both my system and my server? Eventually I'll grow this whole thing to back up two servers and about 10 user systems.

If you're going to backup more then a single server you'll need the Server license of Retrospect. With that, you can run the program on any machine you want (OS 9 or OS X) and backup both your servers as clients. Choose the hardware that works best for you (OS 9 has better SCSI support, OS X usually crashes less).

Seems I needed to just bite it and get the server version instead of trying out this desktop version.

Yep.

Dave

Guess your telling me to give up backing up in OS X and do it under 9 or I'll be back up the whole server all the time. Or switch back to 4.2.

4 worked fine just wanted to have an all OS X environment to live in.

And the read me said I could not back up a remote volume unless I was logged into the system backing it up as the root user and it gave me instructions to set that up. Either way the instructions were not too clear or else I would not have done it.

guess someone needs to clear that up eh. and its not our job (users). Remember we are mac users we don't read manuals cause programs are easy to use. Or we have instincts on how things work, mine strech back to 84.

OS 9 and retro 4 here I come.

PS what good would getting the server version do me if its gonna back up the whole server every time. right now that would mean an AIT tape a day.

The problem that you are seeing is a result of Apple not correctly reporting/translating creation and modification dates on files through file sharing.

Using the Server version allows you to use the Retrospect client, which takes both the need to configure the server for login AND the Apple bug out of the picture.

The Server version allows you to use the client software to connect to the remote computer. The Apple bug is in filesharing. The client software means that you don't need to rely on filesharing, and can connect directly over TCP/IP.

Yes, the Server version allows you to back up files from other Mac OS, Mac OS X Server and Windows computers on your network incrementally, as 4.x did.

Hope this helps!

(Verified, and all freaked out) There is a _severe_ inconsistency between the storage set when backed up under OS 9 then attempt another backup under OSX. It tries to backup the OSX volume as if it hadn't even backed up. Yet another verification of the issue posted. I understand it's a Mac OS issue but "sheesh." I've been backing up over AppleTalk for years, then this pops up?

So you are saying that having the OSX workstation/Volume as a Retrospect _Client_ (instead of over AFP) solves the issue? Why would we need Retrospect Server? Doesn't Retrospect Desktop support multiple Retrospect Clients?

Why does this aspect of OSX feel like the part of UNIX that's so flexible, it's unusable from a practical context. Power is great but when you have to be a mechanic to take some boxes in your car to your storage locker, that's a bit absurd methinks. :o)

-k

In reply to:

There is a _severe_ inconsistency between the storage set when backed up under OS 9 then attempt another backup under OSX. It tries to backup the OSX volume as if it hadn't even backed up. Yet another verification of the issue posted.

Actually, it's a different issue.

Backup Sets created under one OS (Mac OS 9) will not match when backing up the same files under an different OS (Mac OS X). It's a drag. It's in the ReadMe. I don't know if the same thing happens going from OS 9 to Windows or not.

> I've been backing up over AppleTalk for years, then this pops up?

You've been backing up over AppleTalk from an entirely different OS. But keep your eyes out for Jaguar. All signs point to a fix for the AFP timing issue.

>>So you are saying that having the OSX workstation/Volume as a Retrospect _Client_ (instead of over AFP) solves the issue? <<

Client backups solve the timing issue. Files still won't match if you move the same Catalog between different operating systems.

>>Why would we need Retrospect Server? Doesn't Retrospect Desktop support multiple Retrospect Clients?<<

Retrospect Server can backup multiple Servers. Desktop won't backup clients unless you purchase License Codes for it. But purchasing Workgroup is usually less expensive.

Dave

Archived