Travan - FireWire RBU 4.3 drive not recognised

I'm trying to set up a back-up server from older hardware, and thought I had a viable plan. Now its days later, and I'm still not done... Need help.

Back-up drive: AcomData 30GB Travan TR5 external FireWire Tape drive (ADR Technology)

Macintosh G3 300MHz (Beige) OS 9.1

Macally PCI to FireWire card

Retro WorkGroup 4.3

RDU 2.5.101

Retrospect still doesn't see the drive. History: Started with a 7300/120, discovered Macally's card won't run on the PCI 2.0 standard, Apple couldn't tell me if my next choice - a 7600/132 - had the 2.1 standard. Turns out that it didn't... so now I'm at the G3. At this point everything else tests out, the drive IS recognized by the system (AcomData has a utility to see if the drive is being communicated to), RBU still won't see it though (neither in creation of a storage set or in config). Dantz tech level one states that the drive should be recognizable - but that further help would cost. Seems lame to me... unless tech one got it wrong.

I am significantly committed to this configuration solution... don't ask. My butt's on the line if I don't get this going by Friday however...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Update: To eliminate variables I installed RBU 4.3 w/ RDU 2.5.101 on a G4 (DigAudio) to take advantage of the native FireWire. RBU still doesn't recognize the drive. Under Config:Devices it appears to be only doing a SCSI scan (bus 1 & 2) nothing else. What makes me curious is that the "Device Status" window indicates the SCSI symbol (icon @ upper left of window), and lists the SCSI bus #'s. Is the symbol dynamic - reflecting what's found - or does it reflect the fact that RBU 4.3 really only will recognize SCSI?

The following extensions are required for use of this drive with Retrospect:

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension

-Retrospect FireWire Support extension version 1.1.1

-Indigita FireWire Tape Driver extension version 1.1.1

If you are missing any of these extensions, or are using older versions, please use the Extensions Updater, available at:

www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=download_software#MP

If you still can't see the drive with these extensions in place, try booting with only base extensions plus the three listed above - does the drive show up now? If not, please try the drive, with Retrospect, on a computer with native Firewire if possible.

Amy, thanks for trying. If you see my second post, I did move to a 1394 native hardware (G4 AGP - 450MHz, OS 9.0.4). I downloaded the updater you mentioned. It installed the following;

Retrospect SDAP Support Extension v 1.2

Retrospect FireWire Support Extension v 1.1.2

Indigita FireWire Tape Driver Extension v 1.1.2

It also downgraded the Internet Config Extension from v 2.0.5 to 1.3...

Further; the Macally card I'm using has a tech note saying I should use nothing later than v 2.5 of Apple's Firewire Support Extension (I've tried v 2.3.3, 2.5, and 2.8.4 however).

Again, using a utility from the Drive mfg indicates recognition of the device... so its definitely a Retrospect issue. IRONY... shipped with the drive is Retrospect Express 4.3...

Have you tried booting with _only_ Base Extensions plus the required Retrospect extensions?

Is the Retrospect Driver Update 2.5 actually loading? Open Retrospect and go to Reports > Log. After Retrospect launched, do you see an entry indicating that the RDU is loading? If not, please make sure you are putting the file directly into the Retrospect program folder.

Have you run Software Update recently?

In reply to:

It also downgraded the Internet Config Extension from v 2.0.5 to 1.3...

The Extensions Updater does not contain a copy of the Internet Config Extension, making it impossible for the update to replace it. This updater only updates existing Retrospect Extensions and adds other Retrospect Extensions. As a test, I ran the Extensions Updater, rebooted my computer and checked this extension - it is still listed as version 2.0.7.

Thanks again. Did boot with only base plus your suggested exts. Checked log, RDU 2.5.101 is loaded. About the Internet config - strange, but probably a non-issue. While doing these tests, all of a sudden it (the higher version) appeared on desktop, older version in Extsƒ. Re: Software Update - I assume you're referring to Apple's SU? I disable SU on my install images, as I need to know what my system matrices are on the my clients... and can't allow upgrades to system stuff without my awareness. BUT, when I changed to BASE ONLY, it of course becomes enabled, but the schedule is not configured in the control panel. So it should not do a SU either way...

Everyone.

Problem solved. Turns out that the Retrospect Backup bundled with the drive IS an OEM release... NO documentation to this effect however. Included is a driver not found with retail RBU WorkGroup version. (I needed the WorkGroup for network backup, so I used that install...)

FYI - the driver is DMI FW Tape Driver v 1.1.2

Amy, thanks for your help...

Archived