So I'm trying out Restrospect Desktop currently and have it setup so it does incremental backups of my entire boot disk to an external firewire drive. Well last night something happened and now I need to restore to my last backup. Seeing as I backup my entire master book drive, what is the best way to go about restoring the drive? To me the most logical way seems to be booting from an external source, then rebuilding the master boot drive. From what I understand prior to doing a restore I need to have a clean install of Mac OS installed on the master boot drive. Is that correct? Any suggestions?

-----

Mac Pro 3.0GHz Quad

5GB's RAM

Mac OS 10.4.9

Current Version of Restrospect Desktop

> To me the most logical way seems to be booting from an external source, then

>rebuilding the master boot drive.

Yep; if you have another boot source, install Retrospect on that and use it as your Restore system.

> From what I understand prior to doing a restore I need to have a clean install of

Mac OS installed on the master boot drive. Is that correct?

No. If your Source was the root level of your HD, then your Backup Set contains all the files that were on your drive. Your Destination can be a freshly erased, empty volume.

The only time that installing a fresh system is if you don't have another boot source to start the computer from.

Dave