Restore permissions to OS X client

I'm testing backup/restore using Multiserver v7.5 on a Win2K machine with an OS X Server (v 10.3.9, Retro Client 6.1.130). According to this article

How does Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh handle Mac OS X permissions

which I was referred to by tech support, the only way to restore file permissions to their original state is to do a "Restore entire disk" operation. This is not the normal type of restore that I would like to do. Normally a Retrieve files and folders is in order, but that results in permissions that aren't correct.

This is an old KB artice and I'm wondering if anything has changed in the later versions of Retrospect & Retro Client. Based on my testing so far, nothing appears to have changed but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Is there a way to retrieve selected files without doing a Restore entire disk and maintain their original permissions?

Quote:

Is there a way to retrieve selected files without doing a Restore entire disk and maintain their original permissions?

Yes and no. I believe that it can be done by defining a subvolume and restoring the entire subvolume. But that requires forethought to back up that subvolume, or else to do a whole bunch of restoring just to get a few files with correct permissions.

I'm not sure that Retrospect Windows preserves all of the new 10.4.x metadata properly for a Mac OS X client.

Russ

Quote:

I'm not sure that Retrospect Windows preserves all of the new 10.4.x metadata properly for a Mac OS X client.

We have on a handful of occasions restored a Mac OS X 10.4 client from our Windows 7.5.x server. We had no problems getting the Mac up and running after restoring the entire disk.

Quote:

Quote:

We have on a handful of occasions restored a Mac OS X 10.4 client from our Windows 7.5.x server. We had no problems getting the Mac up and running after restoring the entire disk.

Lennart,

By default, Mac OS X 10.4 clients do not have ACLs enabled, but it's possible to enable ACLs. Mac OS X 10.4.x Server, by default, does have ACLs enabled. The metadata that I was discussing was ACL metadata for 10.4.x.

Where the issue would be seen would have nothing to do with whether the Mac client could get "up and running" after restoring the entire disk. Failure to properly restore ACL metadata would be seen by which users, whether local Netinfo users or Open Directory or AD users, would have access permissions on the data and whether those permissions were correct.

Russ

• 1 month later...

No one actually answered the original question: Can you restore OS X files with correct permissions from a Retrospect Windows backup server? Without having to do a full restore?

This seems to be an essential aspect of backup/restore. Without it, you don't really have a backup, do you?