Restore data without catalog?

camos

Hi,

I'using MultiServer 7.5.370. I have 3 DAT5 and 1 SLR100 streamer attached. This 4 tapes are written each night. The main goal of our backup is to have all the company's data at my home on this 4 tapes. I dont want to use incremental backup. Therefore I have a lot of backup-sets (#30) and each night I start a recycling backup.

First question: what is the correct way for me to use retrospect? Is my way OK?

Now the real problem(s).

For my safety I tried to restore all the data at home. For retrospect the first thing was to rebuild the catalog. This is time consuming and actually I want to restore all the data. Is it possible to restore all data without generating a catalog?

Now it seems that in the recreated catalog for the SLR100 a whole snapshot (1 of 3) is missing although the logs of the backup server contains no error. It tells me 48GB (i.e. data for 3 Snapshots) are written.

Is this possible??? In my mind, this is a fatal error for a backup solution.

Thank you for your answerss.

Quote:

I'using MultiServer 7.5.370. I have 3 DAT5 and 1 SLR100 streamer attached. This 4 tapes are written each night. The main goal of our backup is to have all the company's data at my home on this 4 tapes. I dont want to use incremental backup. Therefore I have a lot of backup-sets (#30) and each night I start a recycling backup.

First question:
what is the correct way for me to use retrospect? Is my way OK?

It isn't clear how many backup sets you have (with tapes). You should have at least three complete backup sets (with tapes) and recycle the oldest.

If you have only one backup set, that's no enough.

Quote:

For my safety I tried to restore all the data at home. For retrospect the first thing was to rebuild the catalog. This is time consuming and actually I want to restore all the data.
Is it possible to restore all data without generating a catalog?

No, but you can bring the catalog file on a CD or DVD, depending on its size. Or you can ZIP it and FTP it or whatever.

Quote:

Now it seems that in the recreated catalog for the SLR100 a whole snapshot (1 of 3) is missing although the logs of the backup server contains no error. It tells me 48GB (i.e. data for 3 Snapshots) are written.

Is this possible??? In my mind, this is a fatal error for a backup solution.

It isn't quite clear what happened. Did you get any errors during the recatalog operation? What errors?

Quote:

I dont want to use incremental backup. Therefore I have a lot of backup-sets (#30) and each night I start a recycling backup.

First question: what is the correct way for me to use retrospect? Is my way OK?

The correct way is to use incremental backups. Perhaps the reason you are not using incrementals is that you are very familiar with how other backup programs do incremental backup (and how painful it can be to restore in such a case) and that you do not fully understand Retrospect's "snapshot" paradigm, which is different from how other programs present their data to the user?

Under the hood, Retrospect still does incremental backups (unless you recycle or do new media backups), taking note of changed files, permissions, deleted files, etc., but presents to you a "snapshot" of the state of the disk(s) at the time of the backup so that you can restore those files. If you need, you can go back to earlier snapshots and retrieve from them, too.

The only reasons I can think of not to do a snapshot are (a) your files are changing so much that the incremental data approaches the size of the full data set, such that overwhelming storage is needed to preserve old history; and (B) for some reason you do not want old data to be available, perhaps to delete an audit trail that might be useful in an investigation.

Doing recycle backups every night will wear your tapes out faster and will create a long backup window of unavailability. Hard for me to understand why you would waste the time and wear out your tapes faster.

It's your choice, but you asked.

Russ

• 4 months later...

I think the most obvious reason for "recycle" or "new backup" sets is because if all your eggs are in the "incremental" backup set, and it's catalog gets corrupted, you stand a good chance of losing all that data because Retrospect has a high tendency to *not* be able to rebuild the catalog or otherwise recover the data from the .RDB files. Maybe this is only when using DISK backups, and/or they get very large. Perhaps only when grooming fails.

Archived