retrospect on an intel imac 24"

Quote:

question to the developers/tech support personnel:

This is a user-to-user support forum. Here's the "welcome to the forum" FAQ on that point:

Welcome to the Forum

Here's how to contact Retrospect support:

Contact Retrospect Support

Quote:

i just wanted to ask when retrospect will work on my intel imac 24"?

What doesn't work?

Russ

Quote:

Quote:

question to the developers/tech support personnel:

This is a user-to-user support forum.

well, it just so happens that somebody from emc is watching this forum...wishful thinking?

Quote:

What doesn't work?

well, nothing works. i can't access my backups that i made on my ibook nor can i

backup anything to the already existing backup set. retrospect communicates neither

with the built in superdrive nor does it talk to the external drive that i used for backups

previously. now the imac 24" has been in the market for almost half a year, isn't it

reasonable to expect emc to support it?

Quote:

...nothing works

I find that unlkely. The program launches, no? Can you create and use File Backup Sets? Can you create and use Internet Backup Sets? Can you create and use Tape Backup sets?

> i can't access my backups that i made on my ibook nor can i

> backup anything to the already existing backup set.

Why? What, exactly, are you doing? And what, exactly, does Retrospect do in response?

> retrospect communicates neither with the built in superdrive nor does

>it talk to the external drive that i used for backups previously.

Ah, subtle hints!

- What is the make/model/driver of the built-in optical?

- What is the make/model/driver of the external optical drive?

- What version of Retrospect are you using?

- Which RDU (Retrospect Device Update) file is loading along with the program?

- What version of Retrospect was used with the external drive when you used it previously?

- Which RDU file was loaded with Retrospect when the external drive was used successfully?

The optical drives that Apple puts in its computers are manufactured by other companies. Retrospect's device support is computer independent; it doesn't matter if you're iMac is 24" or 17", if the drive is the same in both Retrospect will behave the same on both. Provide some specifics, in regards to your hardware and in regards to the steps you're taking, and others in the community of users here on the Forum might be able to help.

Dave

Quote:

I find that unlkely. The program launches, no? Can you create and use File Backup Sets? Can you create and use Internet Backup Sets? Can you create and use Tape Backup sets?

the program launches. i have to correct myself in that i can't access my data, i was able to restore some data a few days ago. i haven't tried to create any backup sets since that's useless to me, i just want to continue to add data to my existing backup set.

Quote:

- What is the make/model/driver of the built-in optical?

- What is the make/model/driver of the external optical drive?

- What version of Retrospect are you using?

- Which RDU (Retrospect Device Update) file is loading along with the program?

actually i don't want to get into that really, i was just trying to figure out whether emc intends to

further support retrospect on my mac or not. in the long run i'd have to figure out some other ways

to backup my data if they don't, that's why i was asking.

the built in optical is a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-85J:

the external one is a pioneer cdr111 mechanism that is built into a third party usb enclosure. i just

don't understand how comes it works on the ibook and not on the imac.

application and rdu are the latest ones.

Quote:

- What version of Retrospect was used with the external drive when you used it previously?

- Which RDU file was loaded with Retrospect when the external drive was used successfully?

actually i have no idea and to be honest i'm not interested in that. i believe the application version has been the one i'm using now, just the rdu has been updated twice since then.

btw i'm not asking for support by fellow users, i was looking for support by the company (i read somewhere that the moderators are staff of emc). maybe i looked in the wrong place. i noticed your link to support but i couldn't find an email adress. i don't really want to waste my time actually talking to somebody on the phone as long as i have some room on my harddrive to back up to. maybe i can find a way to get a helpul email from somebody at emc until i'm out of space...

best regards,

alex.

Alex,

Dave has asked the questions whose answers are necessary to provide help to you, and you refuse to provide answers. You also indicate that you don't want support from fellow users. Then you are in the wrong place. Again, these forums are user-to-user support.

Quote:

i haven't tried to create any backup sets since that's useless to me, i just want to continue to add data to my existing backup set.

FYI, the information regarding what version of Retrospect created the backup set is critical here. While successive versions of Retrospect can READ backup sets created by prior versions (e.g., I can still read DAT backup tapes created by Retrospect 2.0 using Retrospect 6.1.126), it cannot add new data to them when the backup set format changes with the version update. But I guess you are not interested in reading the release notes either.

Good luck. We tried to help, but you aren't interested in our help.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

i understand your frustration offering help and being rejected. as i pointed out, however, i was looking for a emc person to respond to my request. that doesn't make your help less valuable, i was just looking for something (someone) else.

i know about newer versions of retrospect not being able to add data to older versions' catalogs and stuff like that. i even read all the release notes of the last 5 or 6 releases (retrospect plus device drivers). problem is, retrospect didn't work for me.

however when i tried to use retrospect recently (i hadn't tried that since one or two device driver updates ago) it suddenly worked. i was perplexed: my built in drive hadn't been listed in any of the device driver release notes. hmmm. looks like the guys at emc fixed something (which shouldn't have needed fixing...) without telling anybody about it.

additionally i emailed emc and they told me what i really wanted to know and what is a reality now: retrospect is working on my imac 24". i'm happy.

Archived