Jump to content

Can't rebuild catalog file


polgreen

Recommended Posts

Backup started on 12/19/2005, runs nightly doing an incremental backup on 3 PCs. The backup directory presently has 193GB of data in 1494 files.

 

I have recently learned that the reason the backup set is so huge is that even though I upgraded to Retrospect v7.5 from 7.0, and turned grooming on, grooming does not work unless you rebuild the catalog file using 7.5.

 

My attempts at rebuilding the catalog file have failed as follows. The rebuild proceeds successfully until a little more than half of the backup set (about 108.5GB) has been read (264198 files). The rebuilt catalog file is 5,809,557 kB. At that point, I get the following errors:

 

"Resynchronizing (this may take a while)…"

 

"Trouble reading: "1-Aladdin Backup 20051209" (34298535), error -102 (trouble communicating)"

 

Reading the help on grooming for version 7.5, I have found that this is likely to occur and that I should make more space on the hard drive where the catalog file is being created. I tried this with no change in the point at which the rebuild fails.

 

Is there any point in trying anything else, or should I just scrap this backup set and start over in the hopes that grooming will actually work if I start from a clean backup dataset?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can remove the rdb file on which Retrospect is hanging. There is most like corruption on the disk at that location or the rdb file itself is corrupt. This will require a bit of work: open the backup set container (drive:\retrospect\Aladdin Backup 20051209\1-Aladdin Backup 20051209 where drive is the external drive letter).

 

Once you have that location open in explorer you will need to figure out roughly where the offending rdb file is located. If you are not getting a message from Retrospect asking for the location of a particular rdb file then you will need to count up the file sizes (each is ~614mb) until you reach the 108.5GB target. Cut that rdb file out of the set and try to do an "update existing" catalog so you don't have to start from scratch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try. A couple things to note. The log file for the catalog rebuild which failed showed that 108.5GB had been processed at the time the rebuild was halted. A view of the catalog properties shows that the last session added to the catalog file occured much after the 108.5GB point, more like about 130GB. When I removed a few files at that the 108.5GB point as you suggested, I received the same errors as mentioned in my original post. When I removed a few files at the 130GB point, the rebuild continued on for another 604MB and then Retrospect crashed hard. Of course I failed to write down the error and can find no log file. On trying to reproduce the failure, this time Retrospect crashed with a buffer overrun. I expect there is really no point in trying to force it further down this path - the catalog file must be too large for the program to handle.

 

I guess my lesson learned is to not rely on the marketing hype about new features, in this case grooming. I really need to check very carefullly to make sure that they are actually working instead of just assuming they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...