Hardward Failure (error 203)

I just installed LaCie's d2 dvd burner yesterday and had Retrospect configure it with a +RW DVD. But my backups aren't happening. Yesterday I got "dirty media or heads" errors (everything is brand new!) which then progressed to "error 203, hardware failure".

After that error, I click OK, and Retrospect carries on with the backup, then a few minutes later the error pops up again. Then, in between these errors it says the catalog is out of sync and to go to Tools and repair. I do that, proceed again with the backup, only to be confronted with the 203 error again.

Did I miss a step configuring the drive? Or what should I do?

I'm running Retrospect v 6.1.126 on a G4 with OS X 10.4.8, 960MB RAM.

Quote:

I just installed LaCie's d2 dvd burner yesterday

What is the manufacturer and model of the DVD burner? And is it Firewire? SCSI?

Quote:

and had Retrospect configure it with a +RW DVD. But my backups aren't happening. Yesterday I got "dirty media or heads" errors (everything is brand new!) which then progressed to "error 203, hardware failure".

After that error, I click OK, and Retrospect carries on with the backup, then a few minutes later the error pops up again. Then, in between these errors it says the catalog is out of sync and to go to Tools and repair. I do that, proceed again with the backup, only to be confronted with the 203 error again.

Without knowing the drive model and manufacturer, we can't tell whether your drive is one that is supported by Retrospect. The list of supported devices is here:

Retrospect supported devices

If it's an unsupported device, you may be out of luck. Manual configuration is a "try it, maybe you will be lucky" sort of thing.

Quote:

Did I miss a step configuring the drive?

We don't have a clue because you didn't tell us what you did to configure the drive.

Quote:

Or what should I do?

Um, get a supported device?

Quote:

I'm running Retrospect v 6.1.126 on a G4 with OS X 10.4.8, 960MB RAM.

What version Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU")? Your best hope would be to try with the current RDU, which is 6.1.9.102 - you don't say what you have got. Current updates are here:

Retrospect Mac updates

If the drive is supported, that will do the trick (assuming that you have good media and a working drive, etc.). Just because "everything is brand new" doesn't mean that it's working. Don't get me started on LaCie power supplies.

If your drive is supported, you would do better to get rid of the manual configuration file (".rdi" in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect) by dragging it to the desktop (with Retrospect not running) and to use the provided configuration in the latest RDU.

Russ

The model is LaCie 16xDVD+/-RW double layer.

It is supported.

I had Retrospect automatically configure it.

I have updated the driver to the one suggested.

I started over with a new backup and new DVD's.

The same error occurs.

I'll try Dave's suggestion.

Quote:

The model is LaCie 16xDVD+/-RW double layer.

It is supported.

I have updated the driver to the one suggested.

Ok, you should be good to go providing that you get rid of the .rdi file from your manual configuration effort.

Quote:

What do you mean here? There should not have been any configuration necessary after you got rid of the .rdi file. All configuration parameters should be within the RDU. If you did anything to cause "configuration" of the supported drive, then you have overridden the optimal configuration support in the RDU. Do you have a .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect ? If you do, get rid of it.

russ

Quote:

What do you mean here? There should not have been any configuration necessary after you got rid of the .rdi file. All configuration parameters should be within the RDU. If you did anything to cause "configuration" of the supported drive, then you have overridden the optimal configuration support in the RDU. Do you have a .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect ? If you do, get rid of it.

russ

Retrospect tells me I need to configure it.

"Retrospect must be configured to use CD/DVD drives for backup and restore. If Retrospt. does not show your CD/DVD drive int the Storage Devices window or to override ... etc." It also says that if Retrospt. is already configured to use this drive, click cancel.

There is no cancel button per se. My 3 button choices are Ignore, Later or Configure.

If I hit ignore, then the drive doesn't show up as available to use.

So I choose Configure and Retrospect configures it and then it is accessible to use.

Quote:

Retrospect tells me I need to configure it.

Then it's not a supported device, and you are incorrect when you stated that it was a supported drive. You still haven't told us who the manufacturer is or what the model of the DVD drive is; all you have told us is that:

Quote:

The model is LaCie 16xDVD+/-RW double layer

LaCie takes drives and puts them into its cases. What does Apple System Profiler show for the drive? Here's an example of what Apple System Profiler shows for our Xserve G5's drive:

Code:

ATA:

ATA Bus:

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845

Revision: DAN9

Serial Number:

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

Quote:

Maybe the problem is I'm using the Firewire connector, not the USB?

I doubt it, but you can try.

I'm at the end of my patience, perhaps someone else can help you. I can't get the necessary information out of you.

Russ

Quote:

I'm at the end of my patience, perhaps someone else can help you. I can't get the necessary information out of you.

How rude. If I was a pro like you're supposed to be, then I wouldn't need to post on here for help. I hope you're not affiliated with Retrospect because you make a very poor representative for the company. I thought the infomation I gave you on the drive was the model.

Quote:

Maybe the problem is I'm using the Firewire connector, not the USB?

I doubt it, but you can try.

So far, it's working fine with USB. Slow as molasses, but no errors yet.

Quote:

How rude. If I was a pro like you're supposed to be, then I wouldn't need to post on here for help. I hope you're not affiliated with Retrospect because you make a very poor representative for the company.

Sorry you feel that way. If you post in user-to-user support forums like these, you need to learn how to provide complete information without repeated interrogation. It's a waste of time to repeatedly ask the same basic questions that you refuse to answer. I was as polite as I could be for as long as I could. I'm just a Retrospect user like you are. I don't claim to be a pro. I don't work for EMC or Insignia or Dantz, and I never have. I don't get paid to help you, nor do any of the other users who post here, and it's not my job. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the product other than being a user just like you.

I was just trying to be helpful. My mistake. And you still have never provided the manufacturer and model of your drive, despite repeated requests. There's no way we can help you if you refuse to cooperate.

Here's some stuff you might want to read before making another post requesting help:

How to ask questions the smart way

Be Precise about your problem

Good luck.

Russ

Quote:

How rude. If I was a pro like you're supposed to be, then I wouldn't need to post on here for help. I hope you're not affiliated with Retrospect because you make a very poor representative for the company. I thought the infomation I gave you on the drive
was
the model.

No, YOU are rude. You don't answer basic questions about your setup and STILL wants an answer from us volunteers in this user-to-user forum.

You want a "pro" to answer? Buy a "support incident".

You gave us the name of the enclosure, not ANY info about the drive inside.

Now, what drive do you have in your enclosure, exactly?

Archived