drive not recognized

rbrown10

When I try to perform a manual back-up, a window pops up telling me that the "disc is not available". If I proceed to the Retrospect Express HD setup option, it shows that my back-up drive is "disconnected". However the drive is not disconnected and shows up using Windows Explorer. Also, I was able to back-up to it using the Windows back-up utility. The device manager says the drive is "healthy". Any ideas why Retrospect Express thinks the drive is "disconnected". Thanks in advance for your help.

What type of backup set are you trying to create?

A disk backup set? (which wipes out the entire disk and its file system and uses the disk much like a tape, usually used for removable disks; advantage is that a backup set can span multiple disks, disadvantage is that it cannot hold other files or a filesystem)

Or a File backup set? (which saves the backup as a big file on the disk's file system; disadvantage is that it cannot span disks, advantage is that other files can also coexist on the filesystem)

I bet, since you were able to use the disk using other utilities, that the disk has a file system on it and Retrospect is trying to protect you from using the disk as a disk backup set, which would wipe out the mounted filesystem on the disk.

I suggest that you read the User's Manual chapter entitled "Fundamentals" where the differences between different types of backup sets is explained. I think that Retrospect is doing the right thing when it tells you that the "disk is not available" (because it has a mounted filesystem).

Russ

Thanks for your reply Russ. I have been using Retrospect Express to automatically back-up everything on my computer on a daily basis (file backup). Retrospect has been creating restore points so its easy to reassume an earlier configuration of my computer. This has been woking fine until my software was automatically updated. During my attempt to solve the current problem, my back-up drive was formatted so when I backed up using Windows, all of the info on my computer was written onto a blank drive. Retrospect gave me the "disk not available" window even when I tried to back up to the blank drive.

Quote:

During my attempt to solve the current problem, my back-up drive was formatted ...

Ah. New information not present in the original problem statement. And Retrospect is still configured for a file backup on the old drive? Then that's the problem. Even though the drive may have been formatted with the same name, it's not the same destination volume as far as Retrospect is concerned because the magic ID blocks at the start of the file system have different information. Retrospect is waiting for the old volume to reappear.

You will have to forget the current backup set and start a new one for this newly-formatted volume. I bet it will work then.

russ

I'm having the same problem. I had been doing disk backups on a daily basis with Restrospect Express to my Maxtor OneTouch but decided to reformat the One Touch after throwing away some files I no longer needed from my main hard drive and no longer wanted to maintain a backup of. Now I can do file backups but not a disk backup. I've tried reformatting, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and disconnecting and reconnecting the Maxtor but still get a message that the hard drive is not available for disc backup, although it is available for file backup.

Russ, you said to forget the current backup set and start a new one for the newly-formatted volume. When I try to do that I still get the disconnected message. Is there something obvious that I'm not doing?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Quote:

I'm having the same problem. I had been doing disk backups on a daily basis with Restrospect Express to my Maxtor OneTouch but decided to reformat the One Touch after throwing away some files I no longer needed from my main hard drive and no longer wanted to maintain a backup of. Now I can do file backups but not a disk backup.

Russ, you said to forget the current backup set and start a new one for the newly-formatted volume. When I try to do that I still get the disconnected message. Is there something obvious that I'm not doing?

First, it's not clear that yours is the "same problem" as the original poster's.

It's something that you are doing (formatting and mounting the drive), not something that you are not doing. If it's a mounted filesystem, Retrospect can't use it as a raw device, only for file backup.

Quote:

Is there a way to make it a "raw device" again now that I've formatted and mounted the drive? Or am I doomed to merely backup files from now on....

Well, on examination of the product comparison matrix, there may not be, and I'm surprised that it worked before:

Product comparison matrix

I don't use the Windows version, only the Mac version, and, interestingly, Retrospect Express for the Mac supports removable disks but the Windows version doesn't. The "raw device" (disk backup sets) are what lets you write to the device without a file system.

The main difference in the two type of backup sets (file vs. disk) is that:

File: can have other files on the device because it is a filesystem, but no backup set can be larger than the device - has to fit on the file system

disk: can span disks (like multiple tapes in a backup set, same model) but only Retrospect can read the backup set - no file system, no other files on the device.

The full version of Retrospect can support all types - see the matrix. You will have to ask someone more knowledgeable about how badly the Windows Express version is crippled. Sorry, I didn't realize that your answer was going to be specific to Retrospect vs. Retrospect Express differences.

Russ

I'm grateful for your help. The thing I can't understand is why it worked initially as a disk backup but no longer does. I may contact the company who sold it to me to see if they have suggestions. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Best,

Steve

Hi again, Russ,

Just wanted to give you an update. I ended up doing a system restore for the day before I reformatted the OneTouch and now Retrospect will do disk backups again. Initially it recognized the Maxtor drive twice, one connected and the other disconnected, but since the first backup there is only one Maxtor listed in the drives. I don't really know what changed but I'm not going to mess with it again.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same kind of problem with Retrospect Express HD. After months of successful "backup all files" I started receiving backup failure messages. On my Restore screen, I'm informed that I have 30 restore points available, but none show up in the window. My attempts at Manual backup produce "disk not available" message (I'm using Maxtor one-touch via USB connection), even though Windows can display the contents of the disk and I can drag test files right to the disk and they go there happily. When I try to redefine the setup, I get error "Can't save setup, check the selected drive to make sure there is enough free space." Windows shows 361 GB free.

I've not reformatted anything (to my knowledge) but I need advice on what steps to take to get the system working again. Can anyone help?

Archived