Data Restore complications

I'm a newbie using Retro. today we decided to test and try to restore our regular backups. The contents are 5 directories with many sub directories within. I'm following the instructions in the Retrospect user's guide on page 51. Why can I just select the current backup catalog which includes all those 5 folders and have them restore to my external HD. I'm able to do a restore by selecting one folder and this folder once its copied to the destination does not keep the tree format. Eg: source is:

dir1/

and destination results:

/Weekly Catalog[056]/<directories in dir1>

How can I restore:

/dir1

/dir2

/dir3

/dir4

/dir5

Exactly the same order to the destination. I tried snapshot and it gives me the choice of selecting one directory at a time not the whole thing. I'm restoring from tape. These are my specs:

Retrospect version= 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver Update= 6.1.3.101

Device Access Version=1.0.107

Mac OS= Mac OS X Server 10.4.6

Computer Model = RackMac3.1

Model External HD=LaCie d2

thanks

You don't say where Dir1, Dir2, Dir3 etc comes from. Are they from the same original disk backed up at the same time? Or are they from the same disk, backed up at different occasions? Or are they from different disks?

Only in the first case are you able to restore them in one "go". And you are not able to replace the folder directly (unless you have backed up and wants to restore the entire disk).

I'm restoring from tape to an external HD. The process goes ok, but I wanted to restore all the folders that I backup to tape, all at once. Seems that I'm only able to restore folder by folder, not the 5 folders at a time. Also I'm not able to keep the structure of the directories. When I restored one folder eg. \dir1 I get to see the contents of /dir1 on the external HD not the actual /dir1 with the contents in it.

thanks

I'm not sure that I am following what is wanted here, but I will make a stab at it.

Quote:

Why can I just select the current backup catalog which includes all those 5 folders and have them restore to my external HD.

How can I restore:

/dir1

/dir2

/dir3

/dir4

/dir5

Exactly the same order to the destination. I tried snapshot and it gives me the choice of selecting one directory at a time not the whole thing.

At least two ways to do this, depending on what the problem is. If the problem is that you want to select more than one directory to be restored at a time, try holding down the Command key (looks like a propeller, next to the space bar) while click selecting (i.e., Command-click on the desired names).

If the complaint is that the restoration is placed within a folder that has the backup set name in brackets:

Quote:

and destination results:

/Weekly Catalog[056]/<directories in dir1>

Well, that's how retrospect does it so that you can carefully manually move files from those restored directories (folders). Be sure to select "retrieve files and folders" for the destination in order to get the folder hierarchy. If you want to blow away the original files, select "replace corresponding files" for the destination.

Or you could define a subvolume for the restore, restore things there.

If the problem was stated a bit more clearly, we might be able to help more.

By the way, your RDU is out of date but I don't believe that this is the source of your problem. The current version is 6.1.9.102, available here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Russ

Sorry for not explaining well. Let me try again again. First of all I'm not able to select more than one snapshot using the CTRL, COMMAND KEY, ALT KEY OR SHIFT. Only one at a time. Again:

I have 5 dir I want to restore: (THESE DIR. HAVE MANY FOLDERS WITHIN)

/dir1

/dir2

/dir3

/dir4

/dir5

I'm only able to restore one dir at a time. Retro. does not let me select more than one.

When I do make the restore for example /dir1, I get:

folder1

folder2

folder3

folder4

and many other folders included in /dir1. In the destination (external HD) Retro. does not restore things as:

/dir1

it restores THE CONTENTS OF /dir1.

So this means that "that's how retrospect does it so that you can carefully manually move files from those restored directories (folders)"

thank for the help

> Sorry for not explaining well. Let me try again again

Sorry; but things remain murky.

You need to explain not only what you want to end up with, but how your Backups were originally created and _exactly_ how you are performing your Restore. Note that starting on page 51 of the User's Guide, there is discussion of the ways to use a Snapshot based Restore.

Use actual Retrospect terms, such as Source, Destination, Files Chosen, etc.

Dave

Quote:

I'm not able to select more than one snapshot using the CTRL, COMMAND KEY, ALT KEY OR SHIFT. Only one at a time.

That's as it should be, if you're using the word "snapshot" as Retrospect uses it.

A snapshot is simply a listing of the files and folder (directory) structure on the volume at the time of a particular backup session. The only way I can imagine that /dir1, /dir2, etc., are included in separate snapshots is that you defined each directory as a subvolume, in which case backing each one up would constitute a separate backup session.

Quote:

I'm only able to restore one dir at a time. Retro. does not let me select more than one.

If you did indeed back up each directory aas a separate subvolume, you wll in fact need to restore them one at a time if you wish to retain the directory structure as it was at the time of a given backup.

Quote:

When I do make the restore for example /dir1, I get:

folder1

folder2

folder3

folder4

and many other folders included in /dir1. In the destination (external HD) Retro. does not restore things as:

/dir1

it restores THE CONTENTS OF /dir1.

Again, if you defined /dir1 as a subvolume and backed it up as your source, this is exactly what you would expect to see if you performed the restore operation "Retrieve Files and Folders."

Quote:

So this means that "that's how retrospect does it so that you can carefully manually move files from those restored directories (folders)"

Yes, if your restore type was "Retrieve Files and Folders," you would then need to manually drag the entire contents of that restored folder to /dir1. (Of course, if you restored the folder inside /dir1, you would need to copy it to a different directory first.)

If you backed up /dir1 as a subvolume and wanted to restore the entire directory as it was, you would be better off to choose /dir1 as the destination volume and then use the restore operation "Restore Entire Disk" (a misnomer, since it actually means to restore the destination volume, not the disk).

If you want to be able to restore all your /dir 's at one time, you need to back up the entire volume (or subvolume) containing all the desired directories.

What I did was to create a /dir in the destination volume with the same name as the /dir to be restored. I still get within the destination /dir /Weekly Catalog [056]/<directories and files>. thanks for your help! I'm also planning to backup selected directories within a /dir to an external HD. Can you suggest how to do this?

thanks

Quote:

What I did was to create a /dir in the destination volume with the same name as the /dir to be restored. I still get within the destination /dir /Weekly Catalog [056]/<directories and files>.

That's because you are still choosing to "Restore Files and Folders." That type of restore will always place the retrieved files and folders inside a new folder titled with the name of your backup set (which seems to be Weekly Catalog [056]).

To replace the entire contents of a volume or subvolume with what's in the backup, you need to select "Restore entire disk," either in the first window of the restore setup process, or in the drop-down menu of the Destination Selection window

Quote:

I'm also planning to backup selected directories within a /dir to an external HD. Can you suggest how to do this?

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. The primary power of Retrospect is to perform incremental backups, so that only new or changed files are added to the backup set and you retain older versions of files until either a New Media or Recycle backup is performed. However, Retrospect can also Duplicate a volume or subvolume to another volume or subvolume. The downsides are that the Duplicate process will replace the prior version of previously copied files, that everything on the source (limited by whatever selector you may be implementing) has to be copied everytime the script runs, and that a single script can have only one source.

To limit your backup to a selected directory, you can either define the directory as a subvolume (in Configure> Volumes) and use that subvolume as a source, or you can create a Selector.

Now, it's clear that, though you may be a newbie, you have taken over managing a backup system created by someone else, who was using New Media backups and was up to number 56 in the sequence of backup sets currently in use. If you can't contact your predecessor to discuss the backup strategy he/she was using, I would highly recommend that you sit down with the User's Guide and get a better handle on what the software is capable of and on the terms that Retrospect uses. Your lack of response to our questions above leads me to infer that you don't understand the questions, rather than that you are being lazy or rude. (And "inferring" pretty well describes what we've needed to do to give you any kind of help thus far.)

Once you've done this, come back with any questions that you may still have, but please be prepared to tell us what you're actually doing.

thanks twickland, I got the manual and I know what my predecessor was doing. Now the next step is backing up the contents of one /dir to an external HD every night. I made a script for that

-----------------------------------------------------

Duplicate: projects

Source: projects on DataHD

Destination: projects.bak on backupdisk

Selecting: Exclude <folder> modify time < 1/19/2006

Options: Verification on

Don't backup file vault sparse images

Schedule: Today at 9PM

Another problem is that I have already created other scripts for testing purposes and I have a list of 4 scripts that I don't use in the script selection window. How do I delete those script from there? thanks!

Quote:

the next step is backing up the contents of one /dir to an external HD every night. I made a script for that

Duplicate: projects

No, that's not what you have done.

You have made a Duplicate script, which is not a Backup script. The two are _very_ different.

I'd suggest some additional time with the User's Guide.

Dave

Quote:

Another problem is that I have already created other scripts for testing purposes and I have a list of 4 scripts that I don't use in the script selection window. How do I delete those script from there?

Whenever you have the Scripts window open, a "Scripts" menu will appear in the main Retrospect menu bar, which will give you the opportunity to Forget scripts you no longer need.

Help!

I have backed up my C: drive to a new WD 500 gig external drive using retrospect software that came with it, checked the data is there with explorer.

I then reformatted the C: drive to remove some problems. Now I can't restore from the external drive because retrospect can't find the data files. I have followed the intructions recreating a caterlog, but it comes finding the data files it can't them. I can find 19 files using explorer.

Can any one help?

Rob

> I have backed up my C: drive

I suggest you post on one of the Windows areas of the Forum. This specific section is for Macintosh users to help each other.

And when you post, you should provide _much_ more informatio then you have here. Things such as software version numbers, Backup Set Type (File, Disk, etc), and the precise, specific steps you took for both the Backup and attempts to Restore.

Good luck,

Dave

Quote:

Can any one help?

Sure.

First, start a new thread as your problem is not (really) related to the original poster's problem.

In this new thread, Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

(3) complete version number of the OS

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

(6) complete description of the problem

(List quoted from rhwalker)

EDIT: Dave posted while I was still typing...

And I didn't even notice this was the Mac forum...

Archived